mercury/adium

Reaction score
I would really like to use a messenger program that makes a noise when someone starts a conversation with me. I am not always at my computer and sometimes wont notice for an hour or so that someone wants to talk to me because currently I am using Mercury and when someone starts a conversation all that happens is the message pops up..if I am not looking at the comp I dont know.

I know messenger does this but it has way too many other faults that I cant handle.....so does anyone know if there is a way to get adium or mercury to make a noise when someone starts a conversation? I have tried everything I can think of and have had no luck.

PS: I am using Mercury 1.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
First may I ask what kind of IMing account you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi and welcome:)

Give Adium a go, it gives you a sound when someone has sent you a message. Adium supports MSN< AIM, YAHOO and more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white 160GB. iPod nano... old school one.
Can someone tell me how to get my contacts list's back on a window? Right now their just on my desktop... or you know, not in a window. And also can someone tell me why it appears that not all of my contacts followed me into my Adium account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
Adium gives you quite a lot of control over audible notifications. For example, you can have it play a sound when one of your contacts comes online, sends you a message, etc. (See Adium menu -> Preferences -> Events).

You can even set it up so that it plays different sounds for different contacts, so you can know who has just come online or sent you a message without even looking at the screen. (To do this, right-click on a name in your contact list, select 'Get Info', choose Events then double-click on the event you want to attach a sound to for that person).

You could record individual announcements like "Uh oh, what does she want?" for when your girlfriend sends you a message! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
Can someone tell me how to get my contacts list's back on a window? Right now their just on my desktop... or you know, not in a window. And also can someone tell me why it appears that not all of my contacts followed me into my Adium account?

You could try : Adium menu -> Preferences -> Appearance ... then have a look at your Contact List settings. Window Style might be the one you want to change, e.g. back to 'Regular Window'.

As for why some of your contacts are missing, I'm not sure. Usually that info is stored on the relevant messaging system's servers and so should be picked up by any client. Sorry I can't offer an explanation as to why they're missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white 160GB. iPod nano... old school one.
Thanks for your help.

I have the count setting on. Now I'm not seeing all my friends that are counted. I have a few hundred friends counted, but the amount that actually show up is much fewer than that. Can someone tell me why this is and how I can make it so that I can see all of them?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.