my MacBook Pro gets hot!

Reaction score
at the moment its on all day and it gets really hot sometimes and i don't see the fan speed increase on smcfan control is there anyway to keep it cooler? it just doesnt seem healthy for it. right now the temperature is 60'c but sometimes goes up to 70 and i think i have seen 80.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
My Macbook gets up around those temperatures, not to worry about it's normal, and your MBP seems overly hot because of the material it is made out of (aluminum i think) is a fantastic conductor of heat, so you'll really feel it when it heats up.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
at the moment its on all day and it gets really hot sometimes and i don't see the fan speed increase on smcfan control is there anyway to keep it cooler? it just doesnt seem healthy for it. right now the temperature is 60'c but sometimes goes up to 70 and i think i have seen 80.

The fans are thermostatically controlled and the machine will cool itself as needed. Programs like SMC Fan Control are redundant at best, at worst, they'll reduce the longevity of your fans which do have a definite meantime before failure( MTBF).

My advice: Remove SMC Fan Control and don't worry about it unless it turns itself off. The processor in your machine has built-in protection mechanisms that will shut the machine down if it begins to overheat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
These temps sound quite normal to me, and as mentioned above, the fans will kick in as needed. Don't worry - it sounds like you are nicely in the "safety zone".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD, 512Mb VRAM

Mine's been the same, I've seen temps up to the high 70s too, especially on the GPU diode (I've been using the very good istat widget). I worried about it for a while, but then I realised I had supercare so if it melts, I get a new MBP. :)

Out of interest, which MBP are you using?

I remember on my old PC, it got so hot during the summer months, I took the side of the case off and pointed a big desk fan straight at the mobo. Kept it icy cold, but made me jealous. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
The fans are thermostatically controlled and the machine will cool itself as needed. Programs like SMC Fan Control are redundant at best, at worst, they'll reduce the longevity of your fans which do have a definite meantime before failure( MTBF).

Quick question here: without SMC, do the fans run at a default minimum speed? (It's impossible to turn off the fans entirely in SMC, but they're so quiet, I can't tell the difference between when they are running -- with SMC open -- and when they're "not" -- when SMC is shut down.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick question here: without SMC, do the fans run at a default minimum speed? (It's impossible to turn off the fans entirely in SMC, but they're so quiet, I can't tell the difference between when they are running -- with SMC open -- and when they're "not" -- when SMC is shut down.)

The fans will turn off when not needed, otherwise they will gradually spool up as needed to move enough air to bring the temps to acceptable levels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
mine will hit 80 when CPU's over 90% for over an hour. So I don't set my MBP on my lap when I'm ripping movies doing a double pass with handbrake :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Put your macbook pro in a clear plasic skin or on a lap cooler and you wont eel th heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Are you running Vista ???. Seriously.....
if thats the case it will run much warmer. I have experienced this myself but have no issues at all under leopard.

Reaction score
The fans will turn off when not needed, otherwise they will gradually spool up as needed to move enough air to bring the temps to acceptable levels.

Interesting. Is there a fan program that allows me to turn off the fans entirely, then, or be in "observer mode," allowing the computer's own thermal regulation to control the fans without the program's interference?

Or should I not worry about it and let SMC run all the time...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
You don't want to force the fans off. You should uninstall SMC Fan and let your computer do what it needs to do.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't want to force the fans off. You should uninstall SMC Fan and let your computer do what it needs to do.

Exactly. I don't understand why people feel the need to concern themselves with what the fans are doing. The system is designed to automatically regulate the fans. There is no need for manual intervention or monitoring. If you feel the machine is running abnormally hot, take it to an Apple Store and let them look it over, there is a known issue with excessive thermal compound applied to the CPU/GPU/Northbridge of some MBPs.

Reaction score
Exactly. I don't understand why people feel the need to concern themselves with what the fans are doing.

With older MBPs, the idea was to keep the computer "cool" on the basis of personal judgment -- for instance, if the keyboard feels uncomfortably warm when letting the Mac OS do its thermal control, then SMC would at least keep the CPU running a few degrees cooler than without it. I would like to see what my temperatures are, but I suppose Dashboard (iStat Pro) can help with that. (That's what I meant by letting the fans go to 0.)

I am assuming that dragging SMCFanControl to Trash will uninstall it sufficiently?

After having done so, my fan speed hasn't gone to 0 -- it's still at 2000 RPM (my default when I still had SMC). So... the fans aren't off without SMC, after all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
The fans aren't supposed to just turn off without any fan mod program. The fans are programmed to run whilst the computer is running and doing work. Be happy, or you would become very good friends (or adversaries) with the Genius Bar.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With older MBPs, the idea was to keep the computer "cool" on the basis of personal judgment -- for instance, if the keyboard feels uncomfortably warm when letting the Mac OS do its thermal control, then SMC would at least keep the CPU running a few degrees cooler than without it. I would like to see what my temperatures are, but I suppose Dashboard (iStat Pro) can help with that. (That's what I meant by letting the fans go to 0.)

I am assuming that dragging SMCFanControl to Trash will uninstall it sufficiently?

After having done so, my fan speed hasn't gone to 0 -- it's still at 2000 RPM (my default when I still had SMC). So... the fans aren't off without SMC, after all?

I just assumed the fans were completely off at times, as I could rarely hear them, even on my previous first generation MacBook Pro (Core Duo/Yonah 2.0GHz). I guess it's certainly possible that it always runs at a base speed, but I'll be dipped if I can detect it, even with my ear pressed up to the area.

Reaction score
Gotcha.

I used SMC more to monitor than to control the fans -- after all, if my fans were set to 2,000 RPM and the temps went up to 80, the Mac OS would still kick up the control mode to higher RPMs. The nice thing about SMC was that I still had control over how fast they went -- if I wanted them to spin faster to cool things down faster, I could do it.

That being said... my fans never went above 2000 RPM, so maybe I don't need SMC after all. (I do like the look of it the menu bar better than the looks of iStat, however...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The EFI (the Mac's version of the BIOS) controls the fans. Should things really heat up, they'll get turned up very high for as short period and you'll notice. The rest of the time they are just running fairly slowly and quietly - enough to keep things warm, but not problematically hot.

Reaction score
Right. The thing is, SMC doesn't do anything different from the EFI (thanks for the term) -- I kept SMC sitting at 2000 RPM, which is what the EFI is keeping the fans at now (without SMC). My conclusion is that SMC, whether it's installed or not, isn't doing much at all, since the fans are kept at 2,000 RPM with or without the program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.