CONFUSED.....help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
I have been using Windows for over 10 years. Before that I was an early apple owner. Well here is the problem. I just bought an HP media center, about 15 months ago, spent over 1000 dollars on it. Within 3 months started having problems and to mae a long story short after many cd restores and having to have it fixed over 3 times in just over 1 year (a new hard drive had to be put it). I am so sick of it. I have an 8 & 9 year old who are on the PC all the time. SO I was considering getting my current HP fixed again and getting myself a MAC. So i can have them both hooked up.

But I do mostly internet searches, email, and excel work now on computer. My one weakness is POGO game site when I am bored. And I am sure that I will not have a chance to use the PC once the boys get it in there play area. I will do no video editing or movie watching. I do alot with my ipod and my photos I like to download.

I guess I am asking for what I need the computer for is a MAC right for me vs the PC. And after reading on here I guess I have to ask a stupid question why still use windows? Is the Mac not able to acess the same things?

Any advise would be appreciated at this point I have been reading so much my eyes hurt. And everyone is trying to talk me into a DELL now but I am so sick of my computers crashing.

Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the URL of that Pogo game site? I will give it a try and see if it works on OSX.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I played a few of the free games and they all worked fine in Safari.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
Well this is the first HP that I have had with this much problems. I have 3 HP's here right now of course only one being used. But this current Media HP has cost me over 500 to fix and still doesn't work. I have a lot of virus problems. The computer can take 15-20 minutes to boot sometimes. ANd the creens are constantly freezing.

And why do you ask how much pactience I have....?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Of course the opinions here and almost anywhere will be a bit biased, but I like my Mac (not MAC) a lot better than my old Dell laptop, I had to do a clean wipe of the HDD 5 times within less than a year, it was horrible, oh and not to mention all the viruses and spyware. I got my new Mac and it was like heaven, everything "just works" everything was there right out of the box, it was just amazing. Now whether you like the Mac OS or the Windows OS (which you can put on your Mac along with Mac OS X), or both is all just personal choice, so take all the facts into play, check out apple.com, go to an apple store and use some of their computers.. whatever just do some research and make an educated decision, hope you enjoy the forums :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Thank you........is it worth for me to get the MAC then??????
No way, keep fighting Windows. It's fun! LOL!

As far as which Mac is for you, my first question is do you want a desktop or a notebook?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
Not sure which would be better I was thinking maybe a notebook since I will have the PC hooked up at the desk. But not sure which is the better Mac in regards to besktop vs notebook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
For 14 years I was not just a windows user, I was a Microsoft lover. I bought each new version of windows on release day. I thought windows was the best thing ever. When my dad got a power mac the seeds of change were planted. I was impressed. After buying vista on release day I was upset. In the past 3 years I went through 2 laptops, one from gateway and one from compaq. Both died on me. Vista turned my life into a nightmare. This past summer I made a nice amount of money and got myself a MBP. Ever since then I have been an apple man. The computer was worlds better than anything I have ever used before. Are macs perfect? No. I have had issues. They are however far superior to the windows based pc's. Macintosh computers are also more expensive, but they are well designed, powerful, you get, what in my opinion is the best OS around, plus it LASTS. My dad got his power mac 5 years ago. Not only does it still work great, it runs leopard flawlessly. Find me a windows pc thats 5 years old and runs vista perfectly (that wasn't over $2,500). Thats just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure which would be better I was thinking maybe a notebook since I will have the PC hooked up at the desk. But not sure which is the better Mac in regards to besktop vs notebook
Well, it really narrows down to which you you want. Based on what you've posted, here are my recommendations:

Notebook: MacBook, white or black ... take your pick!
Desktop: iMac.

You can see my MB specs so I won't bother repeating them. My wife has an aluminum iMac, 2.0 GHz, 2 GB ram. Either one of us can do what you described without any difficulties. Might I also recommend you consider a Apple Refurbished computer. That's what I did with both our Macs and we have been completely satisfied! Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
The notebooks are fantastic... if you need portability or just plain want it like me, although with say the iMacs you get more bang for your buck since it costs more to pack all that power into a notebook, either way, still just personal choice, whatever you like! :D

Reaction score
Macintosh computers are also more expensive,

This is true in a few cases. But the lower-configuration iMac is $1100, and Dell XPS are approximately this same price for an all-in-one.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.2GHz 2GB white
Are there a lot of issues with the refurbished computers? And if I would get a notebook as long as I have the wireless router it would work correct. I guess that I should just get a Mac and see how it works out.

Reaction score
Also, if you really want to you can run windows on your mac through something called boot camp. (Same Speed, Same Thing) All you need is a copy of windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
Are there a lot of issues with the refurbished computers? And if I would get a notebook as long as I have the wireless router it would work correct.

the refurbs are as good as new (looks and performance). they go through extensive testing before being put out again. with the network it should be flawless it everything is set up right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are there a lot of issues with the refurbished computers? And if I would get a notebook as long as I have the wireless router it would work correct. I guess that I should just get a Mac and see how it works out.
From what I understand, Apple's QA for it's refurbished line is very stringent. I can tell you that my MB and my wife's iMac both came out of the box flawless!

I have an old Linksys WRT54G router I run at home (will be replaced later this year with an Apple Time Capsule) and my MB has no problems connecting to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
From your requirements I would say you'll be very happy with a Mac.

I've worked in the IT industry for many years, building and supporting Windows machines and while they have their benefits, they come at a price and that is the effort you have to invest in keeping them sweet. As a new Mac user I find it refreshing to just switch it on and use it productively without having to worry if this, that or the other bit of the Operating System is doing what it should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.