• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

analog video converter

Reaction score
I've searched already ( barely found anything) and probably it was already asked...

I need to convert old vhs-c tapes to dvd..I'm looking for ways to import them to my Imac.. Also, I was planning on connecting it to a vhs/dvd combo so I can use the vhs/dvd combo to play the vhs-c tapes, also input 8mm tapes and also use the vhs/dvd as a tv tuner..I just need to find a affordable way to input it into the computer

..Please post links and recommendations..

BTW, the computer is a Imac, 2.0 OSX 10.5.2 Santa rosa..

thanks im advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've searched already ( barely found anything) and probably it was already asked...

I need to convert old vhs-c tapes to dvd..I'm looking for ways to import them to my Imac.. Also, I was planning on connecting it to a vhs/dvd combo so I can use the vhs/dvd combo to play the vhs-c tapes, also input 8mm tapes and also use the vhs/dvd as a tv tuner..I just need to find a affordable way to input it into the computer

..Please post links and recommendations..

BTW, the computer is a Imac, 2.0 OSX 10.5.2 Santa rosa..

thanks im advance

Let me say upfront that I don't have one of these devices for mac. I do have an MPEG-2 hardware capture board in my PC made by the same people. This info is based on a 10 minute Google looking at reviews and product sites to get an idea of what's out there and on my previous video capture experience.

Have a look at this. It's a UK site but there's a US version too. Not sure where you're located.

It reviews pretty well both by critics and users.

It's main advantage may well be it's biggest disadvantage too. Depending on your point of view.

It has hardware based MPEG-4 encoder. The benefit of this is that your mac doesn't have to do the work. It's pretty much just used as a disk for the Pinnacle box to dump data too. So you're less likely to get dropped frames etc.

However this means that the video will always be in mpeg-4 format. Great if you want to add it to iTunes, sync it with your iPod, edit it in iMovie or watch it on your mac. But if you want to put it on DVD it'll need converting to MPEG-2.
Converting from analogue to mpeg-4 to mpeg-2 rather than directly from analogue to mpeg-2 directly means you'll lose a little of the quality.
Again, it's subjective but you could argue that the small loss in quality isn't really going to make much of a difference considering the quality of the original analogue material.

Personally I don't think you'll lose much but the point I'm trying to make is that it's subjective. Ideally I hope that someone on the forum has one of these and can give you some more hands-on advice.

mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Reaction score
I have this unit. Haven't had too much success with it. The A/V tends to be mis-aligned not to mention the massive pixelation that occurs. Maybe S-Video is the answer rather than RCA. What do I expect for a Benjamin right?

Let me say upfront that I don't have one of these devices for mac. I do have an MPEG-2 hardware capture board in my PC made by the same people. This info is based on a 10 minute Google looking at reviews and product sites to get an idea of what's out there and on my previous video capture experience.

Have a look at this. It's a UK site but there's a US version too. Not sure where you're located.

It reviews pretty well both by critics and users.

It's main advantage may well be it's biggest disadvantage too. Depending on your point of view.

It has hardware based MPEG-4 encoder. The benefit of this is that your mac doesn't have to do the work. It's pretty much just used as a disk for the Pinnacle box to dump data too. So you're less likely to get dropped frames etc.

However this means that the video will always be in mpeg-4 format. Great if you want to add it to iTunes, sync it with your iPod, edit it in iMovie or watch it on your mac. But if you want to put it on DVD it'll need converting to MPEG-2.
Converting from analogue to mpeg-4 to mpeg-2 rather than directly from analogue to mpeg-2 directly means you'll lose a little of the quality.
Again, it's subjective but you could argue that the small loss in quality isn't really going to make much of a difference considering the quality of the original analogue material.

Personally I don't think you'll lose much but the point I'm trying to make is that it's subjective. Ideally I hope that someone on the forum has one of these and can give you some more hands-on advice.

mrplow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.