Firefox Problem

Reaction score
I'm having a little problem with firefox running on my MB. When I go to certain websites specifcally those that are highly flash based or play videos firefox uses an abnormally high amount of CPU usage.

Most recently was when I was on miniusa.com and was in the process of building one the %usage shot up over 100% and you could smell a burning smell coming from the exhaust fans and even a few popping sounds from it getting so hot. The temp on my iStat's nearly exceeded 80C before I had to force quit firefox.

Any help here? This is really driving me nuts... I'm going to open up safari here in a second on go back to mini's site to see if I have the same problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, I just tested with Safari and haven't had a problem remaining on the site and surfing a few others with it still open. However, Safari is still sitting at about 70%-80% whenever there is any type of multimedia playing a website.

This concerned me a little bit because I never noticed video playback etc. causing a problem on my PC, although my PC did have it's own dedicated graphics card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It's Flash that is eating your CPU, not the browser. Are you on a PPC or Intel?

OP
B
Reaction score
Intel Core 2 Duo, it's the system listed in my sig.

I noticed it always ate up a lot of CPU cycles but when it started to smell like it was burning a couple days ago while I was at school I got a little worried. People in the hall even thought something was burning it was so bad.

That being said there doesn't seem to have been any damage done because I shut it down as soon as I saw how many CPU cycles it was using but it still makes me worry a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hm that doesn't sound right. A C2D should play flash video with no sweat.

OP
B
Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of my macbook, it's actually keeping the temp below 80C now but you can see how much CPU is being used just to sit on Mini's site. If this is normal I guess I'll just live with it but I would definitely like to know if other MB's use a similar amount of power for flash/video playback.

Picture1.png

Reaction score
I've had this problem before with a core 2 duo 2Ghz. I thought it was a bad flash site since the problem was resolved when they revamped the website I was visiting. Anyway, I'm not having any problem with the miniusa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow you're right, what a pig website! On my system, it's using 50% CPU.

What balls they have. Eating so much of your machine just for their web page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.