Document stack - question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Right, the machine is now about 12 days old and I've been busily looking at all manner of documents imported from my PC (amazing what you find looking at year's worth of back ups).

Question:
I now have quite a full grid of documents. Where are they physically - I mean, am I looking AT the files or are they 'shortcuts to documents'?

Question:
The grid is quite full, what happens next (depends on the above answer I suppose)? Do I move them, can I move them (I MUST be able to move them because after a couple of months they'd fill the screen).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Question:
I now have quite a full grid of documents. Where are they physically - I mean, am I looking AT the files or are they 'shortcuts to documents'?
You are looking at the real files yes. They are in your Documents Folder which lives within your Home folder (it has a house as an icon in the left sidebar in finder). If you right-click on one of the files in the stack grid and choose show-in-finder it'll take you straight to it's location.

Question:
The grid is quite full, what happens next (depends on the above answer I suppose)? Do I move them, can I move them (I MUST be able to move them because after a couple of months they'd fill the screen).

Once the grid becomes too full it will switch to a list. A simple vertical column of document names.
Yes you can move them to wherever you like but the best way(imho) if you have many docs may be to create sub-folders within the Documents folder and grouping them by type, subject - whatever suits you really. This will keep your stack tidy.
You can always find them quickly by using Spotlight (cmd+space). It's quicker than trawling through huge quantities of docs.

HTH
mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
In Windows XP, your 'My Documents' folder was a shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\Username\My Documents. In OS-X (and any other Unix), you're looking at /Users/username/Documents.

OP
brianwmay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, now the trees are moving aside so I can see the wood !

Thanks, I was a bit reluctant to drag them to the Trash to reduce the size of the Stack (thank you God!), so I thought I'd ask.

Whilst I am more than happy to ask here, is there a good authoratative guide with all this stuff in it. I was surprised by how 'thin' the manual was when I opened the computer's box. Does everyone but me know where to look?

It's probably a pdf but I remember with affection when we used to get paper manuals so you could retire to the toilet and read the manual in peace!!

Nostalgia's not what it used to be - and I still feel I've missed something here regarding 'How Tos'.

Thanks again, when I'm online, then the frequency of 'stupid' questions will reduce - unless I can pass it on to other refugees from Bill Gates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you want something to just get you started:
Leopard for Dummies

If you want something not just to get you started but something you can keep refering back to, the Missing Manual seems to be held in high regard:
Leopard - The Missing Manual

HTH
mrplow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
OP
brianwmay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all, I shall endeavour to get hold of a copy. I've tidied up my Documents folder and moved some stuff around to make it neater.

As always (getting to be so) I really appreciate you putting the effort in replying. Thanks.

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.