Recording TV to a mac

H

hockeyiz

Ok theres this show called Family Guy and it is the funniest show I've ever seen. I have all the seasons on DVD and so do my friends. After like 4 years of being cancelled its finally coming back to fox with a new season. What I want to do is take the video from the TV and make it go into iMovie so i can edit out the commercials and put them on a DVD. This is just to tide me over until the DVD box set comes out but there are some other things I would like to do (Ishtar on dvd :) ). I wanted to know if there is a free/inexpensive program to do this and what kind of cord I would need.
I have cable and a regular non-hdtv and a G5 with 512 Ram and 1.8 dual processor :black:
I also have a sony video camera that i think mite hook into my tv and allow realtime transfer to the camera but im not sure.
I saw this thing videodvhs and it seemed like a solution. i wanted to know if it can do regular tv insted of hdtv that it supports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
Actually the best bet would be to record direct onto a dv tape with your sony camcorder, and then edit it down with iMovie, and burn it onto dvd, that's the easiest way i can think of doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
It should work since i once recorded a 1 minute sample straight off my tv onto dv tape just to see if it works. As far as i'm concerned, once anything get recorded onto dv tape, it's already ditigal and ready to do what you want with it. Hope this helps.

OP
H

hockeyiz

Hmm. How would you do that? I have a videocamera that uses dv but I wouldn't know how to get it off the tv onto the camera. I can get the video on the camera onto the tv but how would you export off of tv?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
he probably means just straight pointing the camera at the tv and hitting record. I have several of the newer episodes, many of them in fact. you should be able to find them one way or another.

OP
V

vtupser

I would suggest purchasing the Dazzle Hollywood Bridge which when hooked up right, you can record from analog (VHS) to digital (computer) and vice versa. It comes with s-video, dv, composite, etc. to hook your vcr or output from TV into it then hook your firewire cable up to it to your computer. Just google it and you can find out more.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not figure it out yet. But I have read somewhere that you can use your camera as a pass thru. I beleive this is from your vcr to computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.