• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Resume Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
My employer just asked everyone in our team for our most current resume including objectives. Since I am already employed, what should my objective include? Should it include my company's name? Any suggestions?

I know that employers look for not what the potential employee wants, but what he/she can do for the company. I think I want to structure it this way, but I can't seem to get it right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I want to join a better company!!!

Seriously tho, examine what objectives and skills you think you have that the company either does not know about or simply doesn't use.

Use it a a springboard to show you have skills and ideas that have not been realised

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Structure it as if you're applying for whatever job you want next. Who knows, maybe they're looking and some HR person read in a magazine to size up employees this way. If nothing else, never forget that a resume is basically a sales pitch. Really play up yourself and your strengths, and try to convey that you're ambitious and ready to move up the ladder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Maybe they want to see who is ambitious and who is complacent. Let them know you're hungry for more responsibility ($).

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Maybe they want to see who is ambitious and who is complacent. Let them know you're hungry for more responsibility ($).

I went this path. In my objective were the words "...rapid future advancement ..."

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
One of the companies I use to work for use the resume to keep track of miscellaneous skill sets. You may have other skills that are not required for your job. A manager from another department maybe looking for temporary help on a project. HR would look at the resumes to see what they have in-house. If a match is found the employee with the requested skill maybe loaned to the requesting manager.

So be care what you place in the objective area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
This is not all that unusual.

Depending on how long you have been in your particular occupational field, you will need to determine what type of resume to provide him. If you have no breaks in employment and a consistent career progression, a Chronological Resume will fit your needs. If you have either some break in employment or a series of different occupations in your work history, a Functional Resume that will highlight your skills, rather than a chronological progression within an occupational field should satisfy your needs. Anyway, in this case, your objective should reflect your short term, (within five years), occupational goal. In other words, your employer may be asking where do you see yourself within the company in the near future. Your education, experience, and work history should support this goal. Show your employer that you have lofty goals and ambitions, and the education, experience, and work history to accomplish your goal.

Reaction score
Did you send your CV to your actual job? When? Maybe you should edit a bit your CV and voila :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I've had to do this before. If your company is trying to win a contract, and the potential client wants to know the quality of your staff, this is one way to do it. Also, if your company is trying to achieve partner status with a given hardware/software vendor, this is a way to do a quick accounting of available technical certs.

And yes, it's a great way to give your boss an update on your skills and abilities, so be sure to use it as a marketing tool for YOU.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.