New member-MacBook Pro/ProTools

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Hi all

I'm new to this forum and I have a couple of (hopefully not ridiculous) questions.

I have just purchased a Macbook Pro (2.4gig/200 gig 7200rpm HD/Leopard 10.5.2) for use in my recording studio. I am new to Protools and Mac but have much experience as an engineer and producer. I am a full time touring musician and I make 3 to 4 records in my studio per year.

So, I have the brand spankin' new Mac and I discovered this week that my Leopard OS X does not support Protools (yet) Upon researching this forum the general consensus is maybe April. I can kinda wait, but I have had some advice which leads to my Questions:

1) I've been told that I can partiton my drive and install OS X 10.4 which is compatible with Protools and begin using PT now until the upgrade. Is anyone doing this at this time, and how hard is it to do?

2) Before I get on the phone with Apple, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with requesting a backdated operating system from them? I'm kinda hopin' to call em' and have them send me OS X 10.4 so that I can do the install. I'm really hopin' they will give it to me for free, seeing that I spent $2500.00 on this notebook already.

Any advice you all could give is greatly appreciated.

Look forward to bein' member of this forum.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
Everything I've heard/read says you cannot install Tiger AT ALL on new macs.

I'm in the same boat and I have PT 7.4 working well on Leopard. there are a few glitches, though. Many are saying that compatibility could come out in April and I'm guessing this is probably true. You'll find out much more on the digidesign forums at duc.digidesign.com. Check it out.

OP
Dan Walsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
thanx man. I have signed onto the digi forum now (thanx for the link) and I guess I'm gonna have to wait it out, Although Logic is starting to look pretty good if Apple and Digi don't get this worked out soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.