Mac for music

Reaction score
I am looking for Mac laptops for my friend who is a college freshman studying music. she uses the Finale software on her Dell Inspiron (w/ Vista) notebook, but would like to have a Mac one day to use with her music compositions, song recordings, etc. just for other opinions, what do you think would be a good Mac (if she does get one it will probably be an older model mac laptop) to get for using GarageBand, email, surfing the web, etc. it should preferably be an older mac (due to budget reasons), but something that can handle work in GarageBand efficiently.

Reaction score
I think the Macbook Pro is a good laptop for editing and music work.

But I know the Mac desktops are the real preference for efficient studio work

OP
rianm7
Reaction score
thank you for your reply!

my flat-out question is this:

What older model Mac laptop model is affordable for someone with a low budget, but can handle apps like GarageBand and Finale. budget is about $800 at the most.

i personally own a MBP and do a lot of music notation, editing, etc. but the MBP is a bit high for someone on a budget of about $750

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Get an old CD MacBook. I have one and it should be fine for her. I do Sibelius and Logic work on it. Not always the smoothest, but it works.

OP
rianm7
Reaction score
where can i find a first gen. Macbook with the Core Duo processors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Used; check ebay and such. You may even be able to find one for sale here. I'd go into the classifieds and list a wanted for one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.