Now What?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive
So I'm getting ready to install Panther and a window pops up saying "You need an administrator name and password or phrase to make changes in Install Mac OS X." The problem is that this computer was left to me by my uncle who has passed away so obtaining the password or phrase is impossible. Any ideas on what to do?? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Do you have the discs that originally came with the system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
do a complete clean install of panther - not an update - use the original install disks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
if you have the install discs, hold down the the c key at start up and on the menu bar at the top and under utilities you can change the system password to the computer.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was not able to find utilities anywhere. It seems that OS 9.2 and X are both on this comp. I don't have the other disks right now only Panther with me.

What if I dont have the install disks???

M

MacHeadCase

That's the only way to reset the password.

Of course, if you're aiming for a wipe of the internal hd and install, the full install Panther disk will work. Did you hold down the C key on boot up while the Panther disk was in the optical drive ?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good news! - I just found OS 9.2 install and OS X install disks, applications cd, and the 5 system restore disks. Do I now just pop in the Mac OS X disk for it to reinstall?? Will it be better for the speed of the comp as well as freeing up space to eliminate OS 9.2? I held the C button down but nothing happened.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the only way to reset the password.

Of course, if you're aiming for a wipe of the internal hd and install, the full install Panther disk will work. Did you hold down the C key on boot up while the Panther disk was in the optical drive ?

I held down the C key but nothing happened. Wont it ask for a password even to reinstall the OS with the original disks??

M

MacHeadCase

Just want to make sure you have followed the correct sequence, here...

You inserted the OS X install disk in the optical drive, then restarted while holding down the C key and nothing happened ?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for the help! I'm up and running with Panther. I can see with just a few hours of using the Mac why they are so much better then PC's.

What's on that X tools cd??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I believe it is developer tools.. hmm

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm up and running with Panther. I can see with just a few hours of using the Mac why they are so much better then PC's.

What's on that X tools cd??

Care to let others know what fixed this situation ? You didn't say what finally fixed it and others might need this solution to get themselves out of a similar problem. It would be cool if you could help them out too by giving this info.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to take some time to get back to you guys with a response. I reinstalled OS 10.1 with the original install disks that came with the comp without any problems. Then I was able to update with Panther by just popping in the install disks and then was able to set my own password.

Thanks everyone for the info/help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.