• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

does it really take 23 HOURS to burn a 2 hour movie with iDVD????

Reaction score
This cannot be possible.

First of all, I used HandBrake to get the movie onto my computer....which takes 2-3 hours.

I used iDVD to set it up yada yada yada.....i set it as "Professional" for encoding....but 23 HOURS?!?!?!?!!?!?

This can't be right.

The movie file is an .mp4, which handbrake used as the default.

....should I not be using mp4s? is that why its taking so long? should I convert it to something else??

What can I do to make this NOT take a full day?

Reaction score
First, what are the specs of your computer?

Also do you have other applications open? It would probably help if you quit everything but idvd.

I'm not an iDVD expert, so maybe someone else will know about better encoding options that would be faster.

OP
R
Reaction score
Brand new macbook, 2 GB ram, no other programs running....it really shouldnt be this hard!

I'm going to try the "high quality" encoding as opposed to the "professional" (which i was using) and see if that makes a difference

Does anyone know if I need to find a program that can rip the movie into a lower quality (smaller) file tthan mp4? is that the problem? that im trying to burn an mp4?

OP
R
Reaction score
HandBrake also lets me use AVI as a choice. Should I rip movies as AVIs instead? would that make a difference?

Reaction score
You could try, but I honestly don't think it'll handle AVIs better than mp4. From what I've been finding the encoding process seems to be long. It all depends on your processor speed.

It has to encode the movie to mpeg 2. Is that an option in handbrake? I would try that over the avi theory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I use mactheripper to rip the dvd

then Toast to burn the disc, it doesn't take that long even on my old G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Is Toast free or would I have to buy that? Where can i DL it?

No it is commercial software, but well worth the price since it can burn just about any format - made by Roxio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM 500GB OWC Mercury Elite Pro external HD 80GB iPod Classic
I am not what you would call experienced with iDVD.
I have transfered Mini DV movies into iMovie, made a movie project using the large setting then burned them with iDVD using the professional quality setting. In my cases, it usually took about double what the length of the iMovie project was.
I am using an iMac 2.4 with 4 gig of ram.

I am guessing you are trying to encode and burn something that may be a little more demanding than some Mini DV footage, but maybe more RAM would help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.