HELP!Can't re-install OS9 from System CD

E

emma random

Quicksilver G4 running OS9.1 (which was upgraded to (9.2)

This morning i was presented with a flashing question mark when trying to boot up my Mac. So I tried putting in both the System Install and system Restore disks and booting from them. I couldn't do this and the mac was crashing mid-start up with different error messgaes. One was "address error", others said " reboot with extensions off" etc, but none of it worked. Then I booted with Norton Systemworks 2.0 disk (OS9.2) which did boot the mac and allow me to run disk doctor. This did say it had fixed some problems but when I went back to boot from the system disks still no change. From Norton I can see everything on my hard drive, and was even able to back everything up to an external HD, so it is as if the HD is OK, but it's something to do with the system OS. But if I can't boot up from the system disks in order to re-install the system software what can I do? HELP!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Since you can boot the system with the Norton disk. Boot from it. Find the your system folder on your hard disk and change the name. Then copy the system folder from your Norton disk on to your hard disk. Now try to boot from your system.

If this works, you may have a corrupted system folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
- Clean the install cd

- Sometime you have to run DiskDoctor more than once to fix everything.

- Also worth trying…reset PRAM
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.