Switch to Apple Mac

A

alf

Hi there,

I am currently a Microsoft Window user. I am really tired and hate to use window anymore and I am thinking to switch to Mac or Unix.

But I heard that mac doesn't have much application like windows, am I right?

I am looking into buying an ibook G4 but I need opinion about how good is using Mac compare to Windows.

Thanks in advance for all replies...

Edit :: Opps...sorry, can admin move this thread to the appropriate forum? thx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Mac has a LOT of applications and when compared to windows, it doesnt have as many, but it still has a lot. What kind of applications are you looking for? It has most everything out there :)

I have used both mac and windows for a long time and I havent found anything that mac can't do that I need it to do, better than windows. Except perhaps games, which we do not have as many of and since I do not play them it doesnt really matter to me. More and more games are coming out for Mac now though, and coming out first.. so we're seeing a changing trend in that area.

Reaction score
What do you use your computer for? Gaming really is better on PC, more titles and you can built a decent gaming PC for a lot cheaper than a PowerMac. Other than that there are very few things I do on my PC that I can't do on a Mac. Also, what version of windows are you using?

OP
C

Cloudane

It certainly has everything I've ever needed, minus a few minor things like Digiguide and games.

As for Linux.... it's very good, but by the nature of community-developed software, its applications are usually developed for what the author needs, not for what the user needs. Also when the authors get bored, your favourite app goes stale. Mac is a huge improvement in this way IMO, if you don't mind paying, whilst still keeping a Unix core.

OP
A

alf

I mostly use it for word processing and some web development work.
Besides that, I will use it for entertainment like music, vcd, dvd...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
alf said:
I mostly use it for word processing and some web development work.
Besides that, I will use it for entertainment like music, vcd, dvd...

Than Mac is definetley the way to go :mac:

OP
M

m1k

I haven't found a common program that has come out for Windows but not for Mac.

Word processing: Microsoft Office 2k4 is out for Mac, but it isn't out for Windows yet (Windows has 2k3).

Web browsing: Safari is simply the best web browser out there. It's faster than Internet Explorer by far, it has lots more features (pop-up blocking built-in, tabbed browsing, a much cleaner download app, etc). Or if you like Firefox or Netscape they're also available for Mac.

Music: iTunes is simply the best musical jukebox, period. Simple, clean interface, great features. Unbeatable.

DVD: All Macs come with a DVD drive, and a DVD player. Plus, there are programs like MacTheRipper which allow you to get DVDs onto your hard drive.

Mail for Mac OS X: Built into every Mac. Amazing mail program, clean interface, works very well. Automatic spam blocking, all you could ever want.

Other: If digital photography tickles your fancy, iPhoto rocks. Like videos? Try iMovie and iDVD. Make music? GarageBand is the best.

If you are into creating things, Macs are perfect. They are designed for creative people, and they certainly don't lack quality apps.

If you're switching, good luck, hope to see you here soon.

OP
L

Lohan

I'm also considering getting a Mac. Basically I was wondering if it's ok to play gereral games on Macs, e.g. if I bought a PC game would it run? (sounds like a dumb question, sorry) also my internet connection would be running through a PC downstairs in my house, could this cause any problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
pc games wont run on mac, and connecting through a pc wont hurt anything, my mac can do anything a pc can, better most of the time. if theres a specific app not available on mac, but available on pc, theres usually an app that does the same thing but better on mac.:mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I was a windows power user, registry hacker, the works. Got fed up and switched to Mac. Now I'm happy! Games? Maybe on PS2! I love my Mac! :alien:

OP
M

m1k

I'm also considering getting a Mac. Basically I was wondering if it's ok to play gereral games on Macs, e.g. if I bought a PC game would it run? (sounds like a dumb question, sorry) also my internet connection would be running through a PC downstairs in my house, could this cause any problems?

Yeah, Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942, etc. all run without a hitch on my 12" PB. The only bad thing is that you have to buy a separate Mac version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To clarify though: You can't just get a PC game and install it on a mac. Just like you can't buy a Playstation game and play it on a pc...

OP
T

toddy

i think that mac i ****. transfer back to windows. mac is nothing but a windows remake

OP
L

Lohan

Ahhh right. Thats alot of help, so there are games available for the Mac, is there any site where I can get them? (I'm a graphic design studant so alot of my time is spent dossing around lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
toddy said:
i think that mac i ****. transfer back to windows. mac is nothing but a windows remake
thats odd, considering windows apps and such are designed on macs, and longhormn is attempting to copy many of tigers features. I just dont see your logic, if it was a remake, wouldnt it suck equally? be as slow, catch as many viruses, crash so much? or would it be FAR superior as it stands? in short,
dont hate cause mac is so much better, and started as an underdog. and windows started first, and went downhill from day one.:mac:

Reaction score
I agree. Mac is not a remake of windows... Just like he said, Longhorn is copying Tigers features. (btw, why are windows apps made on mac?) Anyways, you shouldnt just have a little outburst and say mac sucks. Try to convince that to everyone on this forum :)

OP
M

m1k

He has one post. He's probably Bill Gates trying desparately to stop people switching to Mac.

OP
Z

zeppster

toddy said:

Reminds me of looking at the yankees forum after the Sox won the eight in a row and blew the baseball world away. Go Sox, I waited 86 years for this. :bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
shaun89 said:
btw, why are windows apps made on mac?
the apps themselves arent written on mac, but the majority of the interfaces/themes for such apps are designed on mac.:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.