new Mac user looking for information on creating documents as in Microsoft word

Reaction score
Am new to Mac (2 days).Have Leopard OS and wish to know how to create documents like those available in Microsoft Word.Have discovered that if I open text/edit folder I can create a word document but have no options of changing text style or size.Cannot find spreadsheets etc.Do I need to purchase a compatible Microsoft Word or Office program?Be gentle & kind & give simple instructions as I have just got my L plates for the Mac way.

Reaction score
New Macs come with Microsoft Office and Apple iWork trials installed, but these only last for about 30 days. If you don't want to pay for the full product, you should take a look at NeoOffice.

OP
S
Reaction score
New Macs come with Microsoft Office and Apple iWork trials installed, but these only last for about 30 days. If you don't want to pay for the full product, you should take a look at NeoOffice.

Neither of these programs on computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
The trial versions might be on one of the disks you got. I don't have my disks near me to check but someone else might be able to tell you where they are.

You have a few options. First if you really want Microsoft Office you will need to purchase it. The best option for regular users is the Home and student edition Office 2008.

Next you can get iWork which is Apple's suite and you can save documents in office form. This is fairly cheap.

Then you can download openoffice for free and it has all the suite programs you need but isn't as polished as the other two.

It all depends on how intensive your needs are.

OP
S
Reaction score
The trial versions might be on one of the disks you got. I don't have my disks near me to check but someone else might be able to tell you where they are.

You have a few options. First if you really want Microsoft Office you will need to purchase it. The best option for regular users is the Home and student edition Office 2008.

Next you can get iWork which is Apple's suite and you can save documents in office form. This is fairly cheap.

Then you can download openoffice for free and it has all the suite programs you need but isn't as polished as the other two.

It all depends on how intensive your needs are.
Thank you for info.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this a brand new Mac? You purchased it new?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Am new to Mac (2 days).Have Leopard OS and wish to know how to create documents like those available in Microsoft Word.Have discovered that if I open text/edit folder I can create a word document but have no options of changing text style or size.Cannot find spreadsheets etc.Do I need to purchase a compatible Microsoft Word or Office program?Be gentle & kind & give simple instructions as I have just got my L plates for the Mac way.
I, too, was faced with choosing an office suite when I bought my Mac a lottle over a month ago. I chose iWork '08 and have not regretted it. It includes Pages (word processing), Numbers (spreadsheet) and Keynote (presentation). It's definitely worth checking out!

OP
S
Reaction score
Is this a brand new Mac? You purchased it new?
Yes.Delivered on Thursday from Apple with extra 1 gb of memory.Airport feature a beauty for connecting to internet.

OP
S
Reaction score
I, too, was faced with choosing an office suite when I bought my Mac a lottle over a month ago. I chose iWork '08 and have not regretted it. It includes Pages (word processing), Numbers (spreadsheet) and Keynote (presentation). It's definitely worth checking out!
Again,thank you to all who have replied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The very latest Macs do not include any trial software. There is no trial for the latest version of Microsoft Office anywhere.

The iWork trial can be downloaded from Apple's site.

Reaction score
I use neo office (free); it works really well. I just got a copy of Office 2008 Home/Student vers. and it works really well too; it has some great templates for flyers, signs etc.. $90.00 is not a bad price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The very latest Macs do not include any trial software. There is no trial for the latest version of Microsoft Office anywhere.

I can confirm that they weren't. I downloaded iworks 08.

Brand new.. penryn custom config'd mbp.. straight from China. :D

death to trial ware! :Shouting:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Thanks for that heads up Tech. That is what I was thinking also. Thanks for confirming it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
sassa,

I did get the trial version of Microsoft Office on my new Macbook, for a 90 day trial, so I used it for a while but didn't want to pay the price...

I tried OpenOffice, which is free, but it required the X11 platform to run it and I didn't like the way that was structured, so then I downloaded NeoOffice, which is the OpenOffice program running on OS X instead of X11, as I understand it. It's free and it does just about everything Microsoft Office does, as far as I can see. It has a Spread Sheet, Drawing program and some other extras I haven't tried yet.

It's free, give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always buy one of the others suggested.

Noel

OP
S
Reaction score
sassa,

I did get the trial version of Microsoft Office on my new Macbook, for a 90 day trial, so I used it for a while but didn't want to pay the price...

I tried OpenOffice, which is free, but it required the X11 platform to run it and I didn't like the way that was structured, so then I downloaded NeoOffice, which is the OpenOffice program running on OS X instead of X11, as I understand it. It's free and it does just about everything Microsoft Office does, as far as I can see. It has a Spread Sheet, Drawing program and some other extras I haven't tried yet.

It's free, give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always buy one of the others suggested.

Noel
Thanks to all.Will try NeoOffice.Have X11 platform and will try Open if not happy with Neo.Then to Works '08 if both unsatisfactory.Ciao.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
If you really want to share your documents with windows users then MS office is the way otherwise apple iwork. Although iworks can open ms office docs you still need to export as ms office docs if you want to share.

MS office had some bugs which have been ironed out with recent updates and I have found it to work flawlessly.

Reaction score
If you really want to share your documents with windows users then MS office is the way otherwise apple iwork. Although iworks can open ms office docs you still need to export as ms office docs if you want to share.

MS office had some bugs which have been ironed out with recent updates and I have found it to work flawlessly.

I 2X this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Another vote for Neooffice.
Also, if you are going to try OpenOffice then look at the new openoffice 3 alpha, very mac like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I use NeoOffice and its good, but there is a lack of good fonts, any ideas on how to get a better selection?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.