Silly question: how to burn a CD

Reaction score
Ok, this might be a silly question, but how do I burn a CD?

In Windows, you just go to my computer and double click on the cd. Then you just drag the files onto it that you want to burn. How do you do make a data CD on a Mac? Oh, while I'm at it, how do you make a music CD too?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Data CD's work pretty much the same, except the cd will be on your desktop instead of having to go into my computer. Drag the files in and press the burn button.

A music CD you can do in iTunes. Make a playlist and press burn disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah you can use iTunes OR double click on the CD on the desktop and drag files to it and press burn OR right click anywhere in the finder or on the desktop and click create new burn folder and drag files to that and press burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
hey :)

it's not a silly question xDD it took me long enough to get it, it's quite easy actually

In OS X, to burn a data CD, you simply insert the blank CD, let the disk mount on your desktop and open it up. Then find the stuff you wanna put onto the CD and then click "burn" the CD will then disappear from your desktop, and then magically reappear as a data CD when burning is complete ^^ You can name your disk and it literally takes 2 clicks to get it going.

To make music CDs, you can use iTunes. First off, check your burning preferences by going to the iTunes preferences menu (command + , or select it in the iTunes menu). In advanced, click the "burning" tab, it will give you options for burn speed (but don't worry about that) what you're looking for are the options underneath this. You want to make sure "audio CD" is selected as your default format for burning in iTunes.

Once this is done, you need to create a new playlist. This is done by clicking the plus button in the bottom left corner of the window. Give your playlist a title (it will become the title of your CD) and then simply drag and drop all the songs you want into the playlist. you can rearrange them however you want, or arrange them by track number if it's an album you're burning. You can fit about 80 minutes of playback onto an audio CD, in fact, iTunes will warn you if you exceed the maximum capacity when you get to burning.

Once you've found everything you want for your CD, once again, insert a bank CD and let it mount. Then click "burn CD" in the bottom right hand corner of the window and follow the instructions.

It's simple as mate :D

Dave

OP
Reaction score
Wow, I feel stupid. That sounds too easy. That's what I get for not using a Mac in 20 years. The last time I used one was in grade school and that was the original Mac (I think).

Thank you very much for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Haha, no problem, no stupidity involved just dis-knowledge, you'll find many other things with Macs to be just as easy as the drag of a file and the click of a button ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
ahhh well y'see ;) what it is is, you're used to windows where you have to swear at the thing and spend hours creating the disk image before anything else happens lol you EXPECT it to be hard :p

Where as on a Mac it's bish bash bosh and there's your CD ^^

Dave

Reaction score
OK guys a question:
When burning disks, the help files suggest that it is possible to keep using the same disk (until its full). They say you create a disk image, add the files you want to burn and then select "leave disc appendable" in a checkbox.
Problem is my checkbox is grayed out.
Any ideas?

Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.