New Mac Pro User.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
I must say I'm stoked. First Mac I've ever bought let alone over 2k.

I run a sign shop and have used PC's for my whole life and will still use them in my office. I bought this mac pro for design only. I have a pc that runs my RIP station for my Roland printer and a PC for my POS System and book keeping.

I'm concerned about the following...

1. all my files that are done in CS2. Will they all open on my mac CS2 no problems?

2. Will all my font's work on my new mac? How many can I load?

3. From what I hear connecting my mac to a winxp network is no problem as well as sharing my internet connection. Any problems to look out for?

I'm sure there will be more questions that will arise once I get working on the machine in a few days.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Welcome. I too switched from PC to Mac. You will love your Mac and it will love you back.

As for you questions - can't comment on CS2 or the fonts....although Mac do have a very large range.
I connected to winxp no probs. Much easier than connecting a Windoze PC

enjoy!

Reaction score
cs2 files are cross platform so you'll have no problem exchanging between the two.

I've installed a couple of fonts that where windows fonts, so I don't think you'll have a problem there either. They were Windows True Type Fonts (.ttf). Open Type fonts (.otf) work too. You can double click the font and it'll install, but if you have a lot of fonts you can place them in your home>library>fonts folder (or in your macintosh hd>library>fonts if you want them installed for all users)

like MaDDoG said before, sharing is a breeze.

djs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz
As a photographer using cs2 I always save image files, of any importance, in .tiff as the norm. Tiff can be opened on pretty much anything and any program. Also it does not degrade the image like jpeg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Is the system 'overhead' as high in Mac as it is in Windows? ie, should I reduce the considerable number of fonts that are installed?

Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
I'm curious about the fonts too. I have 2500 on my pc. Sure loading PS is a lil' bit but it doesn't really bother me.

The main thing is I don't use all of them at once, just like to have acess to them for when a customer comes in and wants to see the fonts I have.

Also, I too print from .tiff files and also save all my .psd's in case I need to start from scratch again.

djs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.66Ghz
Fonts etc

I'm curious about the fonts too. I have 2500 on my pc. Sure loading PS is a lil' bit but it doesn't really bother me.

The main thing is I don't use all of them at once, just like to have acess to them for when a customer comes in and wants to see the fonts I have.

Also, I too print from .tiff files and also save all my .psd's in case I need to start from scratch again.

I am not 100% sure about the overhead issue, I think that it should not have any adverse effect on the system, they don't come into play until you request the system to display them. I've never found anything to concern me about the amount that I have. Though, I do not have quite as many as yourself !.
May I suggest one thing, don't use the mac in windows mode in your mind, if you understand where I'm coming from. It will only confuse you. Learn the mac and then try to keep both mind sets apart. ie forget windows while using the mac and vise versa.
I try not to tinker with the settings, leave all well alone and I find it runs perfectly. I went through all the same things as your going through back in '99. I bought mac for dummies, and then just printed off any material on the adobe, or anybody else's website that I thought might help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.