The switch is official!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
Well I thought I would go ahead and get it off my chest. I got accepted as a resident assistant at my university which means I don't have to pay for my room or meals next year and that also means I'll be getting a MAC!! I'm pretty excited even though I won't have it until August, but I've got a whole shopping plan to go to the Apple Store and be able to get my macbook pro and the accessories I'll need since this job saves me a ton of money.

I do have one question though, with Apple Care if the laptop is dropped does that pretty much end any help Apple would provide. I know I read a thread where a guy had Apple Care and dropped his laptop and there's was doubt whether Apple would ever fix anything since it had signs of damage. While I don't dropped my cell phone or ipod or any of that, I would have to spend $300 on the extended coverage just for it to get dropped and lose it all.

Also I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on accessories. I'll be gone all summer, May 25 to July 30, and won't have time to do much shopping since I'll have just over a week before I have to be back at school for RA training. Right now I'm looking at The Marware hand rest and possibly one of their sleeves although I don't know about the zipper scratching the corners of the laptop. And one other thing was the mouse. I would really like a wireless mighty mouse but I plan to run xp in fusion and I've heard of how it doesn't switch over. Will this be the same for a 2.4ghz wireless mouse? Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well I thought I would go ahead and get it off my chest. I got accepted as a resident assistant at my university which means I don't have to pay for my room or meals next year and that also means I'll be getting a MAC!! I'm pretty excited even though I won't have it until August, but I've got a whole shopping plan to go to the Apple Store and be able to get my macbook pro and the accessories I'll need since this job saves me a ton of money.

Congrats - hope you enjoy it.

I do have one question though, with Apple Care if the laptop is dropped does that pretty much end any help Apple would provide. I know I read a thread where a guy had Apple Care and dropped his laptop and there's was doubt whether Apple would ever fix anything since it had signs of damage. While I don't dropped my cell phone or ipod or any of that, I would have to spend $300 on the extended coverage just for it to get dropped and lose it all.

Apple Care is simply an additional 2 years of warranty coverage. It does not insure the device against accidental damage.

Also I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on accessories. I'll be gone all summer, May 25 to July 30, and won't have time to do much shopping since I'll have just over a week before I have to be back at school for RA training. Right now I'm looking at The Marware hand rest and possibly one of their sleeves although I don't know about the zipper scratching the corners of the laptop. And one other thing was the mouse. I would really like a wireless mighty mouse but I plan to run xp in fusion and I've heard of how it doesn't switch over. Will this be the same for a 2.4ghz wireless mouse? Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

I would get a Bluetooth mouse, but not necessarily a Mighty Mouse (too many people here have had trouble with them, and they don't seem to last). In addition, I'd get a good laptop bag and sleeve. Other than that, most of what you need is in the box.

Reaction score
iSkin. I love this case. Anytime I leave the house with my computer it goes with me. If you want a sleeve, this is a great one. I dont like laptop cases or bags, because I dont like to advertise that I'm carrying a computer. But to each his own. I think the only bad thing is that it is pricey. Great though, soft inside, looks great (without advertising) and no scratches or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
congrats on your RA job i did it for two years and it gave me all sorts of great stories for the rest of my life.

if you are going to be plugging in a lot of usb items get a good hub. I personally love my MM and have had no problems with it.

OP
Hope for Chaos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
Apple Care is simply an additional 2 years of warranty coverage. It does not insure the device against accidental damage.
Yes I understand what Apple Care is, what I was wondering was if the laptop is dropped will Apple not longer honor the extra warranty since there would be damage. I really plan to have this laptop for a while and getting a student discount I wouldn't mind spending the extra on Apple Care but if it is some how damaged I don't want that money just thrown away. Sorry if I was unclear when I first asked the question.

Besides that I was looking into a logitech mouse with the thinking that it works in both OSX and Xp/Vista and I know the mighty mouse was having problems in windows and I'm pretty sure that's because it isn't supported according to the specifications. Ultimately I would like a mouse that I can use in and out of windows and OSX as I will be doing my school work in windows and going back and forth often.

Thanks again for all your help and encouragement. I really can't wait until August but at least I'm one step closer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes I understand what Apple Care is, what I was wondering was if the laptop is dropped will Apple not longer honor the extra warranty since there would be damage. I really plan to have this laptop for a while and getting a student discount I wouldn't mind spending the extra on Apple Care but if it is some how damaged I don't want that money just thrown away. Sorry if I was unclear when I first asked the question.

I believe in the event that the machine is damaged, you would be responsible for the cost of having the machine repaired by an Apple authorized service center. But your warranty against manufacturer's defects would still be intact.

Besides that I was looking into a logitech mouse with the thinking that it works in both OSX and Xp/Vista and I know the mighty mouse was having problems in windows and I'm pretty sure that's because it isn't supported according to the specifications. Ultimately I would like a mouse that I can use in and out of windows and OSX as I will be doing my school work in windows and going back and forth often.

Thanks again for all your help and encouragement. I really can't wait until August but at least I'm one step closer.

I use a Bluetooth Logitech V270 and love it. It's compatible in both environments out of the box, but I do use Steermouse in order to get a little more of the "Windows" mouse feel in Mac OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.