iPhone 1.1.2 TurboSim

Reaction score
hi, this is my first post on the forum....Every time i connect my iPhone to iTunes i get the message "do u want to upgrade to version 1.1.4" and each time I am tempted to do it. I have an iPhone 1.1.2 otb with turboSim...can i update my iPhone without it locking again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm assuming turboSim is a program that unlocks your phone? If that's the case, then I would highly suggest you stay away from upgrading the firmware unless you enjoy $400 paperweights.

If it's unlocked, you'll need to "virginize" the phone before being able to upgrade the firmware. Since unlocking the phone is a violation of the Apple EULA, I can't go into details as to how to go about doing this. Google is your friend.

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
TurboSim is a film circuit which u place between ur SIM card and the iPhone, it makes the iPhone work by tricking it into thinking that u r using a legal carrier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In that case, you might want to do some searching to find out whether it works with the latest firmware.

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
That's the thing, i've been having a look around on the internet and some sites say that it will be compatible since it will still trick the iPhone and other websites are extremely vague. I didn't want to take the risk before i asked someone who has tried it which is why i thought i'd try the forum!

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
Has anyone tried upgrading an iPhone 1.1.2 OTB w/turboSim??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
Just restore it to its factory settings (as in, activation screen). Then use a tool called ziphone to unlock it again.(can work on any up to 1.1.4)

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
But the phone is unlocked by hardware, does that mean it'll still lock after i update it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
I don't know anything about hardware really. But if you can get it back to factory, and then up to 1.1.4, it's seriously easy to use ziphone. the only problem for you is getting it to restore.(remember to back up by the way)

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
Thanks 4 ur help....so all i do is just click restore then update it? about using ziphone, this won't hurt turboSim?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See, now you have us confused. Is it unlocked and you're using turboSim or are you simply using turboSim? Restoring won't harm your phone either way, but I know for certain that if it's unlocked, you'll have some serious issues when trying to upgrade the firmware.

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
It isn't software unlocked, it's only unlocked using turboSim. From what i know it should work since it's unlock should be permament as long as it is inside the phone but i didn't want 2 risk anything until i asked experienced people about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Aren't the Turbosim devices updatable? Check the manufacturers homepage...

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
i can't read the website it's in some weird language, can't sum1 who's done it just tell me!!! a7a

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What, so when you unlocked it you had to like take it apart?

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
No, i cut a piece of my SIM card off and i put it on the tray, then i put TurboSim on there and put the tray inside the iPhone and it worked! i can't believe u haven't heard of TurboSim, i thought everyone here would know about it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Good lord, folks. Let me break it down for you.

This phone is NOT unlocked.

TurboSIM is a film that goes between your SIM and the phone's SIM reader that spoofs an AT&T SIM identifier. So, it allows your SIM to register on the network.

The iPhone also does not have an appropriate activation token, which can only be obtained from AT&T by activating through iTunes. "Jailbreak" and "Hacktivation" are the current methods of making an iPhone usable without obtaining a valid activation token from AT&T.

You can use iLiberty or ZiPhone to get this token. Both programs will "Activate" your iPhone so that it can register on the network using your already-installed TurboSIM.

Alternatively, you can also use iLiberty or ZiPhone to unlock through software. It is your choice. If you unlock through software, the GSM radio does not need to be "spoofed", it accepts all SIM cards. At this point, you can remove the TurboSIM.

Please, for the love of God, restore in iTunes before trying any of this. Connect to internet, plug in iPhone, hit restore. This will automatically update AND restore the iPhone to 1.1.4 all by itself.

After this, proceed with the instructions I gave you above.

OP
khalaf
Reaction score
THANKS!!! i appreciate this! so just to make sure:

1-Put the iPhone on the cradle then hit restore on iTunes (this will update it)
2- Download ZiPhone and make it do everything (unlock, jailbreak, & activate)
3-Remove turboSim

Correct? Have you done this with ur phone?? Will the instructions on this page work for windows http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=675 ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.