M-Audio 410 Firewire Interface Problem

Reaction score
For some reason the M-Audio 410 Firewire Interface isn't recognized on my Macbook. I downloaded the driver from the site, installed it, then I restart my computer, plugged in/turned on the interface and it still won't recognize it. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly.

Does anyone what could be wrong? And if you have answer please be detailed if you're going to give instructions cause I just got this mac yesterday and I'm still lost (first mac ever). Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
I remember the instructions saying to plug it in before you turn the mb back on.

OP
C
Reaction score
Would something as silly as that make a difference? O_O I could just plug it in whenever with my PC. Should I reinstall it and do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
It works fine on my MacBook, so yeah, I'd reinstall and try that.

OP
C
Reaction score
I already uninstalled and installed it again the CORRECT way but it still won't recognize it. Any ideas? :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might want to try the previous version of the drivers (the older one).

Also, in whatever program you are trying to use it in, be sure to go into the preferences and specify that you want the 410 as your input device. Small thing, but may be your problem.

Lastly, there is a new pane in the System Preferences to adjust things on your 410, check that out too; doubtful it's got to do with that, but it might.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well if I click on the M-Audio icon, it should open a mixer type thing and it says it doesn't recognize it. I haven't even gotten as far as trying to use it with an actual program. I just checked the system preferences thing but I get the same error when I click it (that it's not recognized).

I guess I'll have to buy a USB one. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried 1) uninstalling the drivers and the application support files associated with it and installing an older version of the drivers? and 2) emailed M-Audio Tech Support?

I think I couldn't get mine working at the beginning, something about the current drivers not working so needing to use older ones (if I remember correctly that was with my 410). I emailed tech support and that's the response I got, if it was the 410 that this was the problem with.

OP
C
Reaction score
1) I uninstalled it yes. Was I supposed to delete other files manually? Like I said I barely got the mac so I don't know where a lot of things are.

2) Heh I didn't even know they offered support online. I just submitted my support request.

Just curious, what version of the driver did you install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other files aren't necessary, those are usually just preference files or so.

I'm actually not sure. Don't have it on this computer, and I'm on holiday in Italy. I've got it on my iMac, but can't check that cause it's back in England.

OP
C
Reaction score
I appreciate the help. :) They also told me to download a previous version and it works fine. I have one question though.. so you plug-in/turn on the interface BEFORE you turn on the computer, but how do you turn OFF the interface/computer? Do I shut down the computer, then the interface? (that seems like the obvious thing to do).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, with my iMac I always leave the interface plugged in and just turn it on and off. They just say not to plug it in or unplug it while the computer is on. I have hot plugged mine before and it didn't give me any problems.

OP
C
Reaction score
That's play with fire man (pun intended). I already fried my firewire port on my PC doing that. You should at least buy a firewire hub in my opinion.

Reaction score
410 install troubles

I'm a new member but I've had Mac certifications ever since 1995.

I have the same issues with my M-Audio 410.
Originally I installed it on my Mac G5 PPC 1.87 GHz. OS 10.3.9 with some difficulty.

The fact that you must install the driver first and then restart your computer and then plug the interface in is obvious. Then the following message says that if your unit still fails to connect then "Try"
to reinstall. This tells me that the connection issue is common if not expected.

After some rounds of "try this try that" I finally noticed that a successful install is likely to display a message in the lower left corner of your screen that says that "You must wait while your interface runs a firmware update".

I've since upgraded to Mac OS 10.4.11 and also to the most recent M-Audio driver version. but still I've had to fight the dreaded " non recognized interface".

Well I've since been happy with this unit, until I decided to install it on my IBook 800 MHz. w/Mac OS 10 .4.11. Well, now here I am back to square 1.

Bottom line is that it's not us, it's them ! As is often the case, it's about compatibility with "Drivers, OS and Firmware " the perfect storm for
for the "Audio User Blues" !:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD
The 410 seems to have the most problems out of all the M-audio interfaces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Odd, cause I haven't had any problems with mine. E-Mail M-Audio and they'll give you the link to the older drivers, those work for me. I haven't gone up to the latest drivers as that one seems to have a fair bit of bugs in it. Hopefully they'll fix those soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, PowerBook
just in case...

...you have not resolved your problem, try this:
1) Startup your Mac with M-Audio's 411 unplugged
2) Get the latest driver from M-Audio's website (even a beta might do)
3) Uninstall your earlier installed 411 drivers
4) Install the latest driver (still with 411 unplugged)
5) Check if you see the "M-Audio Firewire" control panel in System Preferences at the bottom
6) Shut down your Mac
7) plug the 411 into the Mac's firewire 400 port
8) Be sure that you are NOT using the 411 power supply (VERY IMPORTANT)
9) Start up the Mac with the 411 connected. At this stage you should already have connected the analog input cables, probably to line 1&2 (backside) or to the front (attenuable) inputs 1&2
10) Load the "M-Audio Firewire" control panel from System Preferences. This should work now.
11) start your recording software.
12) enjoy.

At the beginning I did the big mistake to have the power supply simultaneously plugged in which is a NO NO...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.