G5 Laptops?

M

mimmyhonker

I know this question may have been asked here dozens of times, so I apologize for being a newbie :) But, is there any information as to when Apple will release a G5 PowerBook? That would be wonderful. Also another question: what are the main architectural advantages of the G4 over the G3? I am hoping that my upgrade from G3 to G4 PoerBook was worth the money! It should arrive next week. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
mimmyhonker said:
I know this question may have been asked here dozens of times, so I apologize for being a newbie :) But, is there any information as to when Apple will release a G5 PowerBook? That would be wonderful. Also another question: what are the main architectural advantages of the G4 over the G3? I am hoping that my upgrade from G3 to G4 PoerBook was worth the money! It should arrive next week. Thanks!

apple has said they have no plans to and will very unlikely do a G5 powerbook because they want to stick with the motorola.

OP
H

hokiethang

trpnmonkey41 said:
apple has said they have no plans to and will very unlikely do a G5 powerbook because they want to stick with the motorola.

and the fact that the G5 is a very hot chip. All the cooling in the towers are done by 9 cooling fans. You cant fit the same cooling in a notebook sized machine, so i doubt we will see a G5 based notebook any time soon, unless some apple engineer figures out how to drop the temperature of the chip and cool it with smaller heatsinks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Maybe if they can create an external cooling system that plugs into the powerbook.

Like the cray that sat in a liquid bath. :D :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Fear not after they control the heat issue with the g5. they WILL move to a powerbook version.. or do a G5-Laptop version... so just give it time :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.