Need advice on downgrading from DSLR to something smaller

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, OS X 10.3.9
I have a Canon Digital Rebel, the older one. I bought it with the thought that I would learn to use it but after several years and a class later I still don't really get the whole aperature, white balance all that stuff. So I want to downgrade to something that may have switchable lenses but maybe not so many and also a little cheaper! I'd like something with a decent zoom but something that has a quick shutter speed too. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
If you want interchangeable lenses then that is a Digital SLR which is what you have an the Rebel is one of the most 'basic' of DSLR's. Downgrading won't neccassarily make things any easier to understand, all cameras still have apertures, shutter speeds and white balance to worry about unless you go for a very basic compact camera. You could buy one of the bridge camera out there like one of the Fuji Finepix's but you'd have to use it in auto mode if you can't or don't want to understand it any further, in which case just use the Rebel in Auto mode and then it just becomes a point and click.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, OS X 10.3.9
Well, really the problem is that it is too big and bulky. I find that the lenses I have (300 mm and 70mm) are nothing special. They were cheapest ones available. I still plan to learn the functions of the camera but my main problem is that right now the camera I have does not fit my needs. In order to have a decent zoom I have to fumble with different lenses and then when I get the 300 mm on it seems very sluggish. I guess I am kind of wondering if getting one like the Sony Cyber-shot 8.1MP, which has 10x Optical zoom and also the choice to switch the lense if you wanted to, would be a better option for someone who is still learning. I suppose this is still an SLR but it seems much more my speed and doesn't come in several pieces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro: 2.2 gHz, 120gb, glossy. STOLEN :(
My friend told me about the Canon G9. It's supposedly a mini DSLR or at least a DSLR-like camera. I'm pretty sure you can change the lenses. Look into it! All I really know is it's a 12.x MP camera, and it looks smaller than the xT

Reaction score
Get the Canon G9 because not only is it smaller. But, it can shoot RAW, I mean how can anyone possibly pass that up for somewhere between $450-$500.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.