Mail.app SMTP not working if port <> 25

Reaction score
So,

I have a Verizon broadband card, and godaddy hosts my mail. On my PC, I used to tell Outlook to use port 80 for SMTP, as godaddy listens on 25, 80, 443, and 8080 (maybe others). This permitted me to bypass my home DSL's (AT&T) block on port 25 outbound without having to change ports when I connected the broadband card.

On my MBP, I can successfully send mail via port 25 when attached to the broadband card. But at home, and in most places, port 25 is blocked. So I'd rather use an alternate port for everything. Oddly, when I edit the server setting and select the "advanced" tab and select port 80 or 8080 for SMTP on the MBP, mail.app can't send mail, it just hangs and eventually times out. BUT, while this is happening (like right now), I CAN connect to the SMTP server via:

96:~ robert$ telnet email.secureserver.net 80
Trying 64.202.189.148...
Connected to email.secureserver.net.
Escape character is '^]'.

Any bright ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You're connecting to their web server they use for web mail. That server won't answer smtp requests. Try 465, which is normally used for secure smtp.

Actually, I just checked something. email.secureserver.net doesn't answer on port 25 for me either. So I did a quick dig for MX and found that their mail exchanger is smtp.secureserver.net. Which answers on 25, but not on 465 (nor on 80).

$ telnet smtp.secureserver.net 25
Trying 64.202.166.12...
Connected to smtp.secureserver.net (64.202.166.12).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 pre-smtp23-02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.