AIM Messenger for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I have found an AIM messenger 4.7 for Mac but I have to open it with some program which I don't have.

Can I get AIM messenger anywhere else to just download and install, like most other messengers?

thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I bet what it's looking for is Stuffit Expander. There is a Free version you can download. Search for Stuffit Expander. Is it by any chance an .BIN extension?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I have found an AIM messenger 4.7 for Mac but I have to open it with some program which I don't have.

Can I get AIM messenger anywhere else to just download and install, like most other messengers?

thanks

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using iChat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
It does not compare to AIM 6 on the PC. I'd get rid of Adium in a heartbeat if that came over, but AIM for mac stinks.

Anyway, as dtravis said, you may need StuffIt. What kind of filetype is it you're trying to open?

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Yep that's it:) So I do need to download that then to use AIM?

I bet what it's looking for is Stuffit Expander. There is a Free version you can download. Search for Stuffit Expander.

I have used iChat with AIM and like it, but I also have Adium using AIM and MSN. If I use iChat I have to sign out of AIM on Adium as I end up with two message boxes from the same person via AIM on both iChat and Adium..which is annoying.

If iChat supported MSN then I'd use iChat all the time.

I want to see how AIM Messenger is compared to Adium, as I know it supports Yahoo, AIM, MSN and ICQ.

Also my friend is using Merury Messenger and is having a lot of problems with it, disconnecting him alot eg ping and other things. He can't seem to get the hang of Adium and MSN he doesn't like or understand either, so I was going to see if AIM is a bit better. As he will be getting a AIM account to use iChat but also needs a messenger to use MSN.

Mattlike said: Just out of curiosity, have you tried using iChat?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, Stuffit Expander will allow you to open and expand AIM so you can use it.

You can turn off AIM access in Adium by the way so iChat would work for AIM and Adium for MSN.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea the AIM 6 I loved, it was awesome and I didn't realise till now, that AIM 4.7 is not as good. I will try it out too and see. I think these Messengers need some upgrading:D

It does not compare to AIM 6 on the PC. I'd get rid of Adium in a heartbeat if that came over, but AIM for mac stinks.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh good, how do I do that? where in Adium Prefrences?

You can turn off AIM access in Adium by the way so iChat would work for AIM and Adium for MSN.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh good, how do I do that? where in Adium Prefrences?

You just uncheck the AIM account in preferences. I do that all the time also.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, I just tried that, but that disabled AIM messenger from Adium. I was just signing AIM off before, when using iChat. Know I know I think I will disable AIM in Adium:)

humm I use Adium for MSN and AIM only so maybe I use iChat for AIM then.. So if I need a messenger program for MSN only, then is Adium still the best bet? or aMSN?

This is helping me:) and I'm learning here too.

You just uncheck the AIM account in preferences. I do that all the time also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do not need Video chat, Adium is great. The main advantage of aMSN and Mercury Messenger is support for Video Chat on MSN. Adium is a much better overall program than aMSN and Mercury.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks:) I don't use video chat much. I used to use Yahoo Messenger for video chat but I found out I can't do that on yahoo for mac. My friend can't type due to disability so we used to chat via yahoo confrence, but now I cant do that.

I might just keep Adium then:) and switch AIM when using iChat at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
Actually, you can download the MeBeam integration for Adium and you'll be able to use video chat through a web service. It works very well. You can download it from Adium's site.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried AIM 4.7 and removed it. I didn't like it and it didn't support MSN. Which is no help for my friend. I will see if he will try Adium again.

I'm sticking with Adium for now:)

Update on Yahoo Messenger: It does voice chat now

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update on Yahoo Messenger: It does voice chat now

I knew the last 2-3 Beta's did Video but not voice. Will go and check into that as I have many friends on Yahoo that refuse to use AIM. Voice would be great.

Thank you for the heads up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.