Need Advice

Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a high school junior in need of a new computer. Currently, I have a PC desktop; however, I need a new machine. I would like to get a MacBook. In 2009 I will need a laptop for college and I am debating to wait to purchase the MacBook until this time. Like I said, my desktop is really losing its abilities. I'd like the MacBook to last me until I graduate college in 2009, and possibly longer if I should go to graduate school. Do you think apple will be making any significant upgrades that will not be available for my MacBook during this time? (within the year, atleast?) Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Need it in 2009? or THROUGH 2008, to 2009?
If you don't need it till next january, definately wait, as there will be a new update before then. just my suggestion. If not, waiting and waiting for new update you'll never get it! Take my word on that, I have experience ;) still need to get mine :( So ya, if you wait for update, the reg MB just MIGHT get a trackpad like MBA and MBP (maybe I'm just too hopeful?) haha. my $.02

OP
S
Reaction score
Need it in 2009? or THROUGH 2008, to 2009?
If you don't need it till next january, definately wait, as there will be a new update before then. just my suggestion. If not, waiting and waiting for new update you'll never get it! Take my word on that, I have experience ;) still need to get mine :( So ya, if you wait for update, the reg MB just MIGHT get a trackpad like MBA and MBP (maybe I'm just too hopeful?) haha. my $.02

Right now my computer is not well. I would like a new one now, but I will start college in 2009 and do not want to buy another one. I need to know if the Macbook now will be good for me in another year or will Apple come out with one that will blow the current one away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... you don't know if the update will be significant, or a big update. Depending on if they add LED or the multi-touch to the MB is what you need to figure out... otherwise technology is always changing, and can advance as much in one year as it did the last 5 years. you can't really predict it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well... you don't know if the update will be significant, or a big update. Depending on if they add LED or the multi-touch to the MB is what you need to figure out... otherwise technology is always changing, and can advance as much in one year as it did the last 5 years. you can't really predict it.

Yes I realize that. I guess I am asking if Apple has announced anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they usually don't announce it until they release it. Apparently, the supposed next update is Mid june-august. the new montevina chipsets.

OP
S
Reaction score
they usually don't announce it until they release it. Apparently, the supposed next update is Mid june-august. the new montevina chipsets.

Do you think the current MacBook will be competitive in a year?

OP
S
Reaction score
I need to know if the MacBook will work well for 5-8 years. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
I need to know if the MacBook will work well for 5-8 years. What do you guys think?

It should work. However, who knows what (if any) problems may creep up. However, I'm sure by the 8 year mark, you probably would definitely "want" to upgrade by then. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
If you aren't beginning college until fall 2009 I would definitely wait. I know this may not be the answer you're looking for but I'm about half way through college and money is hard. Sure I have spending money to have fun but not the kind of cash to throw down on a mac so if you find yourself needing/wanting to upgrade before your graduate it may not be possible unless you have that kind of money. School's enough debt believe me. I would try to get by until you graduate high school and then go all out a month before college starts. That way it'll be the most current/powerful macbook out and if you pick up apple care you'll be covered for your first 3 years. I know its hard to but that would the best decision in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The current macbook will definitely last you at least for three years. After that it'll be lagging in technology. As for Apple announcing new stuff, one can only guess. But it's definite that the next upgrade will have multi-touch capabilities to it's touchpad.

What is not clear is whether they will be ditching the plastic body and using the aluminum body instead.

Reaction score
Hey man, I would say go for it. I am a college student as well, probably approaching my third year. When I first entered college I bought a Dell Inspiron 6000. I loved it when I first bought it but I later realized that carrying around a huge brick was incredibly cumbersome. Recently, I bought my Macbook and when I carry it around school, it feels like I'm carrying around a small textbook. It fits perfectly on the desk. I couldn't recommend a better product for a college student. Trust me man, make the plunge. You won't regret it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.