About To buy A Mac Pro: A Couple Of Questions

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Im just about ready to get my new mac pro which I'm really excited about but I have a few questions first:

1. Is it possible to have an SAS drive as my main drive to boost boot and application start times while still having my other drives be SATA? I've read that its possible but apple says this; "Mac Pro systems must be configured with either all Serial ATA or all SAS drives."

2. Would a system with 3 hard drives necessarily run faster than one with two. (I've been reading how you need a system that can keep up with itself)

3. As far as RAM...I do a lot of video editing and sound work but do you think 4 gigs will be enough.

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Hey Guys, Im just about ready to get my new mac pro which I'm really excited about but I have a few questions first:

1. Is it possible to have an SAS drive as my main drive to boost boot and application start times while still having my other drives be SATA? I've read that its possible but apple says this; "Mac Pro systems must be configured with either all Serial ATA or all SAS drives."

2. Would a system with 3 hard drives necessarily run faster than one with two. (I've been reading how you need a system that can keep up with itself)

3. As far as RAM...I do a lot of video editing and sound work but do you think 4 gigs will be enough.

Thanks for the help

2. Not unless you think you are going to be using up close to all of the two drives, the difference shouldn't be noticeable until the drives start filling up.

3. Yeah that should be just fine, but if you're planning on running a few of each at the same time I would recommend going for more... the more the merrier!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
1. Yes, you need to use all SAS or all SATA drives. That's why the disclaimer is there. I think it's because the SAS drives are designed to work differently.
2. I don't believe so. I am pretty sure all of the SATA ports work independently.
3. I am not positive but 4 GB might be sufficient. I would definitely go with 4 modules though. Because the Mac Pro uses server FB-DIMMs which are slightly slower than standard DDR2 DIMMs and SO-DIMMs, the Mac Pro needs atleast 4 modules to work at peak performance. You could get it stock with 2x1GB and add another matching pair yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Note also that more hard drives = more noise, more heat, and thus more fan activity, which in turn may lead to more noise. I would advocate two larger drives vs. three smaller drives.

BTW, some quick Googling around would suggest that SAS drives can achieve up to 3 Gbps throughput, while SATA II can also achieve about 3 Gbps throughput. SAS is apparently set to double to 6 Gbps in 2009 however. So, any Mac Pro you purchase today in 2008 should not see much speed differential between SAS and SATA II, no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fans are near silent on the Mac Pro. The loudest parts are actually the HD. Occasionally I will hear clicking or hear one spin down or go to sleep but I've installed four and didn't notice any difference. I didn't do any sound testing though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fans are near silent on the Mac Pro. The loudest parts are actually the HD. Occasionally I will hear clicking or hear one spin down or go to sleep but I've installed four and didn't notice any difference. I didn't do any sound testing though.

That would make the Mac Pro much quieter than the PowerMac G5 then? The fans, while not intrusively loud, are quite audible on my PowerMac G5.

Are you (or some other kind reader) able to make any subjective comments on the relative noise levels between a final generation PowerMac G5 and the latest Mac Pros?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a G5 Dual 2.7GHz for a brief period, a week. It was pretty noisy. I think that model had the water cooling system??
I tested it with Xbench and during the tests it would get quite loud actually. It would sound like I jet engine would start up. Not loud like that but the intake of air maybe?
I think my digital camera includes sound with video. Let me see if I can get something working here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, thanks. I will look forward to that!

I am planning to replace this PowerMac G5 in the next six months. I am torn between the iMac 24" and the Mac Pro. One of the considerations is noise: I would like a quieter machine than this PowerMac G5. If noise isn't an issue with the Mac Pro, that would help the decision process along.

Reaction score
I have three internal HD drives on my Mac Pro and the only time I have heard them or my fans is when I'm sitting on the floor right next to the case and the ONE TIME I tried a fan control utility. That really wound-em up and it sounded like an airplane taking off.

Reaction score
Yeah. I really here my Mac Pro every time the fan spins up when I bring it out of sleep mode. That's really about it though. Otherwise, this Mac Pro inches from my left knee is completely silent. I used to hear the PC about 6 feet away at the other computer desk until I turned it off for good. Now, my study is completely silent and I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I couldn't get the camera to play nice. I kept getting interference. But I am laying under my desk with the camera on a tripod. I can hear the HD clicking it's louder than the fans humming. I can hear my analog clock which is 5 ft away from me and that's the loudest.
If you don't mind some interference, I will upload the video on youtube if i can figure out how.

Yes, No??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I couldn't get the camera to play nice. I kept getting interference. But I am laying under my desk with the camera on a tripod. I can hear the HD clicking it's louder than the fans humming. I can hear my analog clock which is 5 ft away from me and that's the loudest.
If you don't mind some interference, I will upload the video on youtube if i can figure out how.

Yes, No??

I vote for yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, here ya go. I reshoot the video so there is no more interference. In the second video there is a lot of background noise because my computer is right near the window. The low but loud humming noise heard throughout most of it is from outside.

Video 1

Video 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that man, I don't have a Mac Pro, but still interesting learning about it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.