• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

wanna help a starving artist? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
leopard macbook pro 17" | ipod touch
I really miss these forums, however life has been in full swing and I have no time to even do the basics, i.e. eating and sleeping. That's art school for you.

I stopped by to share this video I made that is going to win an award from Anne Pasternak's Juried Art Exhibition at USF. It is an independent short film, not a wanna-be hollywood flick.

It's SFW, it's fast-paced (literally), it's a video that you can play for anyone. It's 2 mins.

Check it out, thx <3

THIS VIDEO MUST BE WATCHED WITH THE SOUND ON

HERE IT IS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnS-pdWRM4

P.S. don't watch this video if you are prone to seizures

P.P.S. constructive feedback is welcome, especially if you have experience in art

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Amazing, great job!

I think the beat was a little off with the movement in the very beginning, that's my 2¢

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks so much for the feedback :)
Sometimes youtube laggs and it appears to be offbeat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook / 2Ghz/ 2Gb RAM / 80G HD / superdrive
Cool video. Catchy soundtrack.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great job. Very well done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Hi Cherry! It's been a long time. It's good to see you. ^_^

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to see the movie fresh, move on.

Fwiw, I watched the movie once. My impressions are from a single viewing, and are indeed impressions; they may not reflect what actually happened in the movie.

The Movie. Interesting! In the beginning, my mind drifted a bit to, "What's this movie about?" I saw Matrix themes, and went back to the minimalist opening to Sin City, thinking, "You know, you can go simple." Ah, then the elevator scene was great. Neat perspective.

The actor was interesting, expressive. Good choice.

The cinematography was very good. Despite the frenetic nature of the movie, it was quite watchable. It's one thing to have the actor seeming as if he's connected to a 33,000 volt line. It's another to see the background acting that way; thank you for not doing the latter.

Your movie reminded me of the concept of the masterpiece inasmuch as someone tries to use all of the techniques she knows. It also reminded me of a study in techniques, albeit a fairly mature study. "How do I do this?"

In previewing my response, I just reviewed the other responses and realized I hadn't said anything about the soundtrack. The soundtrack was good in a couple important ways. One, it was interesting. Two, it fit the movie and rather blended into the experience. I'm reminded of the movie Bound (by the Wachowski Brothers, their first movie, followed by The Matrix). Some of the music in that clashed. Sobeit, it was a fun movie. Yours however did not clash.

In closing, it's a nice piece of work Cherry! Cool. Good luck to you, and again it's great seeing you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
P.P.S. constructive feedback is welcome, especially if you have experience in art

Since you asked..

First I will say I liked it, because I did!

I thought it was very creative, but I didn't actually understand what was going on. Video, although it can be, is not like fine art where you expect people to analyze over and over again to try to figure out what the message / meaning is. Although because its short ,you can get away with it.

On the technical side though, it did appear to be slightly off beat. and one thing that students always (or almost always) over look is lighting, I felt like it was missing some lighting that could have made it better.

Camera work and editing were both pretty good but if you are planning on editing it fast, don't shoot it fast (use less vibration and more shake if you want motion, or even opt for motion but smoothness like a steadycam or jib)

However, I do own a video company and I'd hire you.. I thought it was pretty well done and pretty well thought out. Keep up the good work, you'll be amazing in no time.

(I am sorry if that was too negative)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've never understood video art. I am suppose to take something away after viewing a piece of art and I didn't. Good art moves me emotionally. I don't feel any real connection to your piece.
Your video is nicely done and it looks great on my iPhone. I liked the song selection.

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much for the input guys (hi mathogre!). That feedback was not too negative, it was helpful. As long as it doesn't turn into a bash-fest like it did when I made the mistake of showing this to my old mazda forum (it doesn't have enough fake boobs and fast cars in it for their taste). I greatly appreciate proper critiques though. :)

I played it for friends at their houses and I was amazed at how framey it played on youtube compared to the original copy. I had to play it for them twice. Others have told me it matched the beat perfectly but it is possibly something we all overlooked, or something that got smoothed out by the music.

People who aren't into video art aren't going to follow this video. It's ok, I'm an artist yet I usually don't understand what sculpture is all about (it's not my thing).

It is true that amateurs forget about the importance of lighting. Making sure the actor is well-lit is especially important for professional advertisements, modeling shoots, and things of the like.

To explain my intentions a little more:

Intelligent Dance Music or IDM is becoming a prevalent type of electonica today. It's a genre that has an ironic name because while the music is very rhythmic it is absolutely too chaotic and fast to be danceable. My intention with this video was to illustrate how someone would dance to it if they could. Another part of my video deals with the duality of man: two sides of the same self like day and night. But the dance-off ends in mutual admiration, as if to say "In the end does it really all matter?"
The dim lighting in parts of my video was part of a thematic feel I was trying to achieve. I was intent in setting it in an uncommon place, an urban thrown-together atmosphere, like a place that a fight club would meet. An overall gray setting was picked to draw forward the focus to my actor dressed in primaries.

What kind of videos does your company produce, PowerBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
We tend to do artsy films and some wedding videos for people who are looking for something out of the ordinary in their video, and when we say out of the ordinary we just mean something other people are not doing, it doesn't necessarily have to be artsy, but can be very MTV Style, Cinematic, etc.
We pretty much do anything that a client comes to us for, but we generally do art films with a message of some kind. I normally don't write them (my girlfriend is a screen writer), but Produce/ Direct every film.

If you have any questions or anything though, I'll always be wiling to help out.

OP
cherry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I appreciate it. :) I'd like to see some of your stuff sometime. Do you have a .com or something I can check out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
I'm in the graphic design and prepress field. Although I didn't understand the video, I still liked it. The actor could pass for Hurley's little brother in Lost. LOL Like Mathogre, my impression was Matrix-ish. I enjoyed the "stuttering" or "shakiness" (whatever you call it) of the actor when he danced along.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.