• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just attended my 1st MUG meeting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I'll have to say I was a bit apprehensive about attending what amounts to a computer club meeting. I was expecting a crowd of pocket-protector wearing, geek eye glass wearing goobers to fill the room. But my curiosity got the best of me so I went this morning. I was completely surprised when the room filled with normal, everyday people who simply enjoy their Macs. Not one of those stereotypical geeks to be found! So I am looking forward to next month's meeting! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have never been to a MUG - wonder what the local one is like

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nerds

Here you go! It's the Nerdz!

:D

Glad you had a good time. We used to have many Computer Clubs here in my area, but one by one they died. I was big in the Amiga club here when the Amiga was still alive. I rarely have run into any of the stereotypical nerds at those meetings.

article_Lewis&Gilbert.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz
Pardon my dumbness but MUG= Mac Users Group???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
No that would a geek hand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i went to mine and there was an over abundance of elderly people. it made me question my mac purchase.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i went to mine and there was an over abundance of elderly people. it made me question my mac purchase.

When you say old, how old are you talking about? Just curious? There were people of all ages at the clubs I was a member of.

Ever since I was a very little Kid I have never had problems hanging with old people as long as we have some interest in common.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Well... a lot of old people really like Macs since they "just work" and their "the most intuitive computer out their"

M

MacHeadCase

Would you say I'm elderly ? Would I make you rethink your purchase just 'cuz I'm not in the same group age as you are ?

Everything is relative, you know... :)

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Well, now that was provoking! My observations would agree. There were quite a few "elderly people" today, as well. But that doesn't bother me. In an environment like that, we all share a common interest. Age is irrelevant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, now that was provoking! My observations would agree. There were quite a few "elderly people" today, as well. But that doesn't bother me. In an environment like that, we all share a common interest. Age is irrelevant.

I know how you feel. I have an old Mustang I restored and take to car shows. Even though I'm getting close to not being able to call myself young any more, I'm still usually the youngest person at classic car shows that's isn't the child of a car owner.

Honestly, I think it's quite surprising and strange that they're mostly older people. I figured that it would be a lot of younger people as I'm sure Apple's customer base is mostly that.

I've never even heard of MUG. I may have to check it out.

Don't trust anyone under 35.

Or anyone over 35! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i am talking 65-75, and they were the 75% of the group. you also have to take into account where i live

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.