Installing Applications...disk image?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When ever i install new software such as firefox, when i run the app a disk image pops up on my desk top and a little window opens before the app runs itself. Is there a way to stop all of this and just run the app as a mac app (through my harddrive)

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42/s_canter1/?action=view&current=Picture1.png

thats a picture of it

With reference to your picture above :
Drag the firefox logo on the left onto the picture of the Applications folder icon. This will install Firefox. Now drag the Firefox disc image to the trash to eject it. You can also trash the dmg file you downloaded.
Now have a look in your applications folder and you should find firefox. This will run straight from your hard disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Disk Images (.dmg) are sort of like .zip files, they contain something in them, they are not the actual file in itself. When you dowload a .dmg with a program in it their is no install usually involved all you have to do is drag the app into the app folder or anywhere else on your Mac other than the DMG, and than you get rid of the dmg and you're set!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, 120GB, 2GB Ram, Leopard
What exactly is the point of the icon appearing on the desktop anyway?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
all mounted disks (which is what a dmg is essentially - a logical disk) show up on your desktop by default (and in the upper sidebar of finder).

it is what it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.