Potential Power Cord Problems?

Reaction score
I am planning to move to Australia later on this year, so I was researching ways on how to power my MBP while I'm there.

As I was browsing through Apple's online store, I noticed a lot of people complaining about the magnetic power cord that the MBP comes with. The thing I'm most afraid of is having the cord or magnetic connector get so hot that it melts and/or starts a fire. It seems as though there are quite a few horror stories about it judging from the User Reviews:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...shop_mac/mac_accessories/power&nplm=MA938LL/A

So my question is... Is this something I should be really worried about? I don't want my power cord to have problems even before I take it somewhere internationally! :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I dont think the power in Aus should make any difference, the power supply is switchable

I would keep good care of it though (you will need an adaptor plug for the Aus 3 pin system

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, I know I'll need to get an adapter plug but do you suppose I'll need a transformer, as well? I really don't want the cord or plug to burn/melt. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Yeah, I know I'll need to get an adapter plug but do you suppose I'll need a transformer, as well? I really don't want the cord or plug to burn/melt. :D
the power block is an auto-sensing transformer. all you have to do is buy the Apple World Traveler Adapter Kit. Remove the plug part and insert the correct plug from the kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Specs for a MBP state 110-240 volts. 240 volts here so just buy a power lead locally and no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I am planning to move to Australia later on this year, so I was researching ways on how to power my MBP while I'm there.

As I was browsing through Apple's online store, I noticed a lot of people complaining about the magnetic power cord that the MBP comes with. The thing I'm most afraid of is having the cord or magnetic connector get so hot that it melts and/or starts a fire. It seems as though there are quite a few horror stories about it judging from the User Reviews:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...shop_mac/mac_accessories/power&nplm=MA938LL/A

So my question is... Is this something I should be really worried about? I don't want my power cord to have problems even before I take it somewhere internationally! :Oops:

People dont go to forums to post their possative stories. Only the negative. This can give a negative impression of a product where there should be none. Out of the hundreds of thousands of these power adapters out there how many complaints did you locate?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.