Super HUGE problem!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
I just got my mother-in-law to switch. YEAH!

Here is the problem.

She runs a biz. and has used a proposal she created in M.S. works. I copied the proposal onto a disk and transferred it to the iBook I gave her and guess what, It wont work.

I have Iwork 08 on the ibook and that wont read it. What the heck do I do. She completely relies on this stupid, ancient proposal she created in works.

I do have M.S. office 04 for OSX, will that read works docs. If not is there a free solution to getting this to work. I do not want to have to duplicate this by hand in a Pages format.

Any help would be great.

PS: the file extension is .wps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Does she still have access to the computer with Works? If so try to export/save as into a Word file. Open Office won't open it either.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try it on your MS Office 2004 and see if it reads it. If so convert it to a stock Word document. If not like v-guy suggested, does she still have her PC with works?

I have a few Works files. I will try here if I can find them and see if I can convert one and get back to you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I did a text document in Works and saved it as a .WPS. Networked it over to my Mac and NeoOffice (Latest Version) opened it and it looked just like it did on the Windows machine in MS Works. This was not any complex document but a whole page. Give it a try.

If there is graphics and charts who knows but since NeoOffice is free, it sure can not hurt to give it a try. Otherwise try her old PC and convert it in Works.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Try it on your MS Office 2004 and see if it reads it. If so convert it to a stock Word document. If not like v-guy suggested, does she still have her PC with works?

I have a few Works files. I will try here if I can find them and see if I can convert one and get back to you.

Yes she still has that pile of junk. It does run. I have another question. If I download adobe can I save it as an editable pdf. I did find a site that let me upload it to them and they emailed it back as a .doc but it was not formatted the same way and all the graphics were missing so that did not work. Do you guys think the pdf thing will work. Remember, it needs to look the same way as in works and it needs to retain all the graphics and it needs to editable.

This is her logo invoice, she uses it as a contract/receipt, she types in all the customers info, prints 2 copies, one for her and one for them, then she erases all the customers info and stars over again for a new client. I know that this is a goofy way to do it and I know that there is much better ways of doing the same thing but this is how she has done it for years and she does not want to change so that is why I am racking my, and your, brains.

Thanks for your continued help

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a text document in Works and saved it as a .WPS. Networked it over to my Mac and NeoOffice (Latest Version) opened it and it looked just like it did on the Windows machine in MS Works. This was not any complex document but a whole page. Give it a try.

What is neooffice, do I need that or will this work in pages if I do the same change you did in works and then transfer it to the mac with pages.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is neooffice, do I need that or will this work in pages if I do the same change you did in works and then transfer it to the mac with pages.

I did no change at all. Just saved it as a .WPS file in works and copied it over. Double clicked and it came right up in NeoOffice. Neo is a more OSX looking and working version of Open Office. Free download. Only thing I am wondering is since her document has pics and charts if it will look right. Mine did but it was a more simple document.

Yes on your 2nd question if you go into Works on her old PC and save it as a Word Document. Pages should load it fine.

So 2 things you can try.

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/download.php#download

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
It's a freeware office type of thing Here's the link to the download.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did no change at all. Just saved it as a .WPS file in works and copied it over. Double clicked and it came right up in NeoOffice. Neo is a more OSX looking and working version of Open Office. Free download. Only thing I am wondering is since her document has pics and charts if it will look right. Mine did but it was a more simple document.

Yes on your 2nd question if you go into Works on her old PC and save it as a Word Document. Pages should load it fine.

So 2 things you can try.

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/download.php#download

One more question. I got it back from the online company, I had them convert it to a pdf and it looks great but one problem, I dont seem to be able to edit it. Do you know if I can and I just dont know how or is pdf a locked format that cant be changed. If I can edit it I would love to use this because it looks just like it should. If I cant edit it would you be willing to let me email you the works file and you could do the change and email it back. I would so appreciate that and I would score huge points with the mom-in-law.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A PDF is like a picture, you can put words on top of it and what not, but you can't edit the content that was already on the PDF, and you can email me the file and I can see what I can do. PM me for my e-mail.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A PDF is like a picture, you can put words on top of it and what not, but you can't edit the content that was already on the PDF, and you can email me the file and I can see what I can do. PM me for my e-mail.

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!!!!!!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem, glad to help. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.