Mac Virus?

Reaction score
Hi

I am the proud owner of an iMac and I LOVE it :D
Unfortunately recently I have had a problem with it shutting down unexpectedly. A 'curtain' come down over the screen and then a message comes up telling me I need to restart?
Any ideas???????
I only have Mac Office and aMSN loaded as extra software nothing else.
Please help, the wife's going crazy!!!
Many thanks.
Blinkey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
what does the error say? Its not a virus, it is something wrong most likely with the firmware. Since its new, take it in to any Apple Store for a fix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
There are no viruses out for OS-X so you don't have one. From what I've read, I agree with MBasile. It smells of a firmware issue.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for replying so quickly MBasil, it just says an error has occurred and it needs to shut down?
Happens about once or twice a day now?!!
Blinkey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Have you got anything attached to your iMac external harddisks or USB hubs
You maybe getting a kernel Panic
Or you have Bad RAM
I have a mate here in Norway with a New Alu iMac and it did the same thing it was traced to the RAM

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, thanks everyone for your help. I'll get in touch with Apple Support and see what they say. Will let you know!
Blinkey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That like louishen said is a Kernel Panic. Usually it's caused by hardware issues but it could be damage in OSX.

It's not a Virus. Not in the least.

What iMac do you have? Specs. Some of the very old iMac G5's had issues like some PC's at the time with bad capacitors on the motherboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Please help, the wife's going crazy!!!
Not sure if we can help you with this thing though. I think it's part of getting married? :D

As for your kernel panic, we need a little more info. Did you install any software update? Did you put in new RAM? How often does it happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD
I had the same situation with my imac g5 a year ago, when i first bought it i installed new ram the day it arrived. Since that day i had problems the same as yourself with the kernel panics, and after testing every possible solution nothing worked. i checked for bad ram and nothing the system said it was fine, though because the ram that i had received had a liftetime warrenty.

After explaining my situation to them, the sent me out two new ram sticks, i replaced the ram that was supposedly ok and then started the mac back up again. since that day not a problem

Hope my little story helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
If you bought it from a nearby store I would return it and get a new one.

kba

Reaction score
had the same problem with a g5. found out it was mostly due to a bad ram. i had the problems twice a month, but after some system updates they are working fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X VERSION 10.4.9 450 MHz PowerPC G4 768 MB SDRAM
is it like Chinese because my friend had it but i dont know how he got it fixed =[

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.