• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Spectacular, amazing, awesome, bliss. Just a few of the words to describe the book series Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. These are part of a 11 book fantasy novel series that IMO, outranks Harry Potter (a LOT higher reading level, and LOTR, just more enjoyable) Character development, amazing plot, great philosophy. They have everything! Coming fall of 2008 Wizards First Rule, the first book of the series, will be turned into a TV series,22 one-hour-long episodes for the first season. 2nd book will be the second season. Produced and directed by Sam Raimi! http://www.terrygoodkind.com Read it before it comes out! You will enjoy it, I promise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
They are very good. I never finished the last two though...I should do that some time.

A series that is similar, but I think much better, is George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. I think the plot and character development is a bit better than Goodkind's. It is also being turned into a series, except on HBO (which is fitting for how much sex and violence is in it).

I am looking forward to both of them. I think it is great that two of my favorite fantasy series' are being brought to TV! I hope they don't suck...

OP
ogacon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A series that is similar, but I think much better, is George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. I think the plot and character development is a bit better than Goodkind's. It is also being turned into a series, except on HBO (which is fitting for how much sex and violence is in it).

Ya... I was disapointed when they said SoT will be on ABC... as there is much violence and Slashing and killing in it as well... hopefully it will work out =\

I have heard of that, and I also have heard of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Both that, and Martin's series are on my list-to-read in the near future once I have time. When is Martin's airing on HBO?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 1gb RAM
Yeah I've been wanting to start reading that series. Looks like I'll have to before the series premieres. I'm also a huge fan of Ayn Rand and from what I understand, the author is an Objectivist, so that's cool.

Reaction score
I liked the SoT series for the most part. Only thing I didn't care for, was that each book after the 3rd could have been half of what it was. He spent so much time rehashing what happened previously that you could pick up the last book of the series, and not be at all lost.

OP
ogacon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I liked the SoT series for the most part. Only thing I didn't care for, was that each book after the 3rd could have been half of what it was. He spent so much time rehashing what happened previously that you could pick up the last book of the series, and not be at all lost.

agree 100%... but ya, you're right. He did it so he could reach the people that didn't want to read 8 books before that one. However, the chainfire trilogy (the last three) ran into that a lot less. Confessor seemed like he didn't recap much at all, except for things mentioned only in the first few books. Nice reminders... and kept things fresh in your mind to understand. It seems pointless, but in reality if he didn't mention it you probably wouldn't have thought of it. Having him mention it just seems pointless cause its in your head, and once its mentioned you remember it instantly. But ya... great series nonetheless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I came to this thread with The Sword of a Thousand Truths in mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.