• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I finally got broadband!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
After years and years of suffering for living in a slightly remote area, I finally get to taste what it feels like to have broadband at home. The call came today, I still need to get the wireless modem.

I'm sure my iMac must be starved by now. Living off that 56k must have been torture for the iMac. Don't worry sweety, 2mbps is here to blow your mind away!

Sorry for wasting your time but I'm just too excited. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
!!

You were using a 56k?!

Sweet jesus...

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I've been a broad band user for less than two years....prior to that.....DIAL UP!!:Grimmace:

The worst was a the false hope Charter Cable once gave me when I got a random call from them asking if I wanted cable modem service....heck yeah I did!!! Too bad it was a clerical error on their part...got a call the day of my install apologizing for the mistake "Sorry, but we do not currently have plans to launch broadband service in your area, we made clerical error. Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience."

3 years later some teeny tiny cable company bought out their area and within the month I had shiny, happy broadband!!! Now I feel like an l33t hax0r on the interweb!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Last time I used dialup was about nine or ten years ago. I would say I empathize with your situation but to be honest it was such a long time ago I have no idea what dialup on my computer feels like! ;)

Congrats on finally catching up ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Wow!! Your i-Mac may go into shock once all those extra bits come running down the pipe. Using that 56K dial up must have been torture. :Oops: ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Only 2mb?? Ouch.... Hope to see u around here more often. Time to start earning more mint chiclets to pass up MHC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Congrats. My mother lives in a remote area, so I am forced to use dial-up whenever I visit. Ever since I started using faster connections in my second year of college, I haven't been able to do without.

to be honest it was such a long time ago I have no idea what dialup on my computer feels like! ;)

Do you have an iPhone? Try loading a big page on Edge. It should bring back memories.

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only 2mb?? Ouch.... Hope to see u around here more often. Time to start earning more mint chiclets to pass up MHC!
Well actually it's 2mbps with a datacap of 5GB per month. I do get 2am to 8am free downloading though :) (I'm not complaining. I couldn't ask for more!)

The best part of getting so used to dialup is, when I do get my iPhone in a month, I will find EDGE quite bearable! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
True dat! I now average 52kbps in the city. I just want to toss this thing out the window when I'm not on my network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wow - going from Dialup to broadband is like the best upgrade you can get for any computer.

Even better than RAM!

How did you get system updates before?

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah well, the secret I've kept from this post is that I had this same 2mbps connection in my dad's office which I could use as I pleased. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And how much does this 2Mb connection cost/month?

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rs. 1000
Direct conversion: $22

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
the speed at which you post!!

I assumed you already HAD broadband ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" eMac 1.42 GHz G4, Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger"
I've used broadband for nearly 5 years now, but I still miss the beeps and squeaks of a dial-up connection starting sometimes. :)

I don't miss the connection errors though.

k3s

Reaction score
congratulations!
I know how i feels,
Waiting for pages to load, the slow load time for images. The disappointment when it takes 1 minute for a page to load. You will love the new found freedom, i know i did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.