Should you ever shut down your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 3rd gen 2.4 GHz, 256 vid 4gb ram 250 hdd
So now that I have a Mac, I've been told by many of my mac friends that I should just sleep my Mac. During the day, sure I'll sleep my MBP. But at night, I have been shutting it down.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
It's really personal choice but I suggest just sleeping it as there is no advantage to shutting it down and you will be able to use it faster if you sleep it. And if I may suggest something, you should go into energy saver in system preferences and than click schedule and schedule your Mac to go to sleep a few hours or so after you go to sleep as Macs do self maintenance when they are not being used. If you leave it on whist not using it during the day than scratch that suggestion and just shut the lid and let it sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i havent shut it down in over 3 weeks (besides the updates recently). i just close the lid and put it to sleep. i never had a problem since june 2007

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i havent shut it down in over 3 weeks (besides the updates recently). i just close the lid and put it to sleep. i never had a problem since june 2007

Same mine hasn't been turned off for 2 months excluding restarts for updates.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 3rd gen 2.4 GHz, 256 vid 4gb ram 250 hdd
Is it possible that you save power or prolong the life of the hardware when shutting down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may save about a percent or two by turning it off but that's it really, and for prolonging the life of the hardware it is quite the opposite actually, in fact apple actually suggests putting it to sleep over shutting it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I shut mine off every night out of habbit, if im not using it there is no reason for it to be on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hardware scripts run early in the morning, so you're wise to leave it on once every 2 or 3 weeks.

Otherwise, there are no advantages or disadvantages with shutting it down. Personally I like to restart every few days just to get that fresh feeling!

Reaction score
lol I remember reading something about going through terminal mode to change the settings of those nightly maintenance thingies... but now I can't find it. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

As for shutting the computer down or just closing the lid, I have been alternating between the two. Old habit, really. I used to close the lid on an older (Windows-based) laptop of mine. After a while, the screen started to look like it was burned around the edges. The laptop would hibernate with the lid closed, so I could only guess that perhaps the screen was getting messed up from the residual heat emanating from the keyboard. :(

Reaction score
when I'm in the middle of a couple projects and have dozens of PDFs, Word documents, and webpages open, shutting down and losing my workflow is a huge waste of time and productivity. I only turn off once every couple weeks just to kind of refresh the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
Do what pleases you. After all a Mac is just a computer.

* To answer the question, I shut down my MBP once every 3-4 days and every time when I travel.

Reaction score
I like to shut down every couple days. If I'm working in Photoshop or something my swapfiles can get pretty big and shutting down clears them out.

Also I think Leopard is still a little buggy. It seems to be better with recent updates, but sometimes things get funky after I wake from sleep.

Reaction score
I put my iMac to sleep at night and then in the morning it is scheduled to wake up and then start the screen saver because my screen saver is my clock! (fliqlo)

Reaction score
Shutdown or Sleep?

Hi,
I've converted to mac about 3 months ago and brought a Mac Book pro.

I'm trying to work out if it's ok to put a 'sleeping' mac book in a case or if this mode is only meant for when it's sitting out on a desk or something.

I just find the startup time too long.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Turn off every evening and a reboot check things out. Running Macaroni, a utility that carried out all those maintenance taks automatically is thus essential.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I usually shut it off if it has to go in my backpack, and that's about it.

Once in a while it's nice to kill all the processes so I can regain all my memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
I like to shut it down just to clear up the memory. Most electronics prefer if you always keep them on as most wear and tear happens during startup but it's the difference between living 15 years and 7 so no biggie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.