iMac to TV?

Reaction score
Ok I am looking into switching to a mac and have decided that an imac is the best for me. I was wondering if there was any way to hook it up via VGA to my HDTV so that I could stream things from the internet, such as TV shows, over the big screen. I know that you can do it with the macbook but I can't figure out if the imac can. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Depends on the iMac you own.... What iMac do you own?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not all iMacs have video out.... Some iMacs have VGA out, mini-VGA, and mini-DVI.

This is you can't give a blanket answer "yes, it has video out." OP, which iMac do you have so we can find you the right adapter?

Reaction score
"Ok I am looking into switching to a mac and have decided that an imac is the best for me"

He doesn't have one yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He could be buying a used iMac not necessarily a brand new one....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
But you COULD answer his question by telling him that if he is looking o buy a new Imac it has a mini dvi port on the back and he can get a mini-dvi to vga adapter from the apple store in order to do what he is looking to do. He can also use DVI or HDMI.

In the event that he is not looking to get a new Imac then he should say which he has for a different answer.

See there I answered his question for the most likely scenario while still letting him now that it is possible he needs to provide more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's easier to ask for specs when one finger typing on an iPhone than go through every model and explain the difference, especially when the answer has been posted on this site dozens of times.
Seeing the Apple website lays out all the video out info for the current model, I would suspect he isn't asking about the current model.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry about not giving all the info. It would be a new imac. So from what I have gotten so far the new imacs have a mini-dvi so I would have to go to the mini-dvi to vga, correct? Also someone said something about HDMI, how would I use that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would buy the mini-DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.