Need advice about DSLR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
Hello all!
For two whole days I've read everything I could here about cameras, but I still need help.
My little P&S is starting to act up and I'm thinking of getting DSLR camera. I want to learn how to make good pics of my baby and animals, nature, that type of thing.
I'm still trying to decide if DSLR is a good thing for me. I'm not trying to become professional, and I don't want to spend a fortune on expensive extras. I do realise I'll have to get another lens eventually.
So, here are my questions:
1) Is basic DSLR kit (probably Canon Rebel Xti) going to give better pictures that P&S permitting I learn a few tricks with exposure and that type of things? In other words, is camera kit as is (18-55mm) good enough for a beginner in photography to take better pics than with P&S?
2) I know a lot of people suggest to get just the body with a different lens. What would be a good basic multi-purpose lens that I can get away with? It can't be too expensive, no more than $200.
3) Looks like it's a question of religion, but what is the basic difference between Nikon D40 and Canon Rebel XTi? Originally I thought of Rebel, but there is a good deal on amazon right now: Nikon D40 with 2 lens (18-55 and 55-200) for $636. I know the pixels are different on them, but still.
Thanks a lot in advance. I know it's too many questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Just remember all answers here will be subjective, including mine.

1) Is basic DSLR kit (probably Canon Rebel Xti) going to give better pictures that P&S permitting I learn a few tricks with exposure and that type of things? In other words, is camera kit as is (18-55mm) good enough for a beginner in photography to take better pics than with P&S? It depends on the point and shoot, but almost certainly yes the image quality will be better. Better image quality does not necessarily equal better photographs though, that's down to you. When you 1st start to explore things like Aperture priority or start messing with ISO settings, you'll make mistakes and things may not turn out as you expect, but you'll learn quickly and will benefit in the long rung.

2) I know a lot of people suggest to get just the body with a different lens. What would be a good basic multi-purpose lens that I can get away with? It can't be too expensive, no more than $200. I'd take the kit lens at your level, it's pretty good ad perfect for everyday shooting. If you want something to broaden your range. A 28 - 135 is a popular option, but on a rebel XT you end up with a longer focal length and you really want the wide-angle for those landscapes. Stick with the kit lens and see how you get on.

3) Looks like it's a question of religion, but what is the basic difference between Nikon D40 and Canon Rebel XTi? Originally I thought of Rebel, but there is a good deal on amazon right now: Nikon D40 with 2 lens (18-55 and 55-200) for $636. I know the pixels are different on them, but still.
Thanks a lot in advance. I know it's too many questions. Don't be fooled by MP counts, they're meaningless if the sensor is too small or the lens is no good.

Having read the reviews, I'd say the Canon is easier to get to grips with (the menus are clearer for example) and the Canon has a better range of lenses from 3rd parties.

Having said that, the Nikon gives a slightly better image with the kit.

http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-eos-400d-digital-rebel-xti-vs-nikon-d40x/

Anyone who is a Canon or Nikon fan, will argue for their own kit. The choice is yours, but as someone on neither side, I see the Canon having slightly more potential but the Nikon a better starter camera.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
Thank you so much!
That's what I love this forum for - fast and meaningful responses.

I'm hoping to hear from some other participants, but your words are very encouraging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much!

I'm hoping to hear from some other participants, but your words are very encouraging.

Oh don't worry, they'll be along. There are some pretty good and vociferous photographers here who love these threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Thank you so much!

A good Canon lens to start out with (in addition to the kit lens) is the Canon EFS 50mm f/1.8. You can find it for about $80 on b&h's website ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com )

Any camera can allow a photographer to take good pictures as long as the photographer knows what they're doing. You could get something like a dslr type P&S with manual modes for cheaper than a dslr and you wouldn't need to purcahse additional lenses and you would still have the capabilities to take good pictures once you learned about the camera and about photography.

Can you tell which was shot with the $80 lens and which was shot with the $1600 lens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A good Canon lens to start out with (in addition to the kit lens) is the Canon EFS 50mm f/1.8. You can find it for about $80 on b&h's website ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com )

Any camera can allow a photographer to take good pictures as long as the photographer knows what they're doing. You could get something like a dslr type P&S with manual modes for cheaper than a dslr and you wouldn't need to purcahse additional lenses and you would still have the capabilities to take good pictures once you learned about the camera and about photography.

Can you tell which was shot with the $80 lens and which was shot with the $1600 lens?

Great advice.

On your question, that's pretty funny. Once the images are down to JPEG it's almost impossible to tell, unless there is some serious issue with the original, but to me, the smoker photo looks like it was taken with a 50mm prime? :Oops:

The second looks like a long lens with a narrow aperture, which equals $$.

Maybe you should do a poll! :D

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
Village Idiot, I heard a lot of good things about that lens and I tink I'll buy it.
Your pics are amazing, especially the smoker. I hope the day will come i'll be able to produce something like that:)

What P&S would you suggest with the specs you described?
The problem is, if i get into photography later and will be willing to spend money on lens, I'll have to get a DSLR anyways. so, i thought i might as well do it now.
But I'm open to listen to your opinion about a good P&S. It has to look cute though, I'm a girl:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Great advice.

On your question, that's pretty funny. Once the images are down to JPEG it's almost impossible to tell, unless there is some serious issue with the original, but to me, the smoker photo looks like it was taken with a 50mm prime? :Oops:

The second looks like a long lens with a narrow aperture, which equals $$.

Maybe you should do a poll! :D

The smoker was the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS and the angel was the Canon 50mm. It's easy to tell pre-processing by comparing the bokeh. The Angel's is some type of polygon where the smoker is circular.

Village Idiot, I heard a lot of good things about that lens and I tink I'll buy it.
Your pics are amazing, especially the smoker. I hope the day will come i'll be able to produce something like that:)

What P&S would you suggest with the specs you described?
The problem is, if i get into photography later and will be willing to spend money on lens, I'll have to get a DSLR anyways. so, i thought i might as well do it now.
But I'm open to listen to your opinion about a good P&S. It has to look cute though, I'm a girl:)

The one I would suggest would be the one that Mathogre just picked up, the Canon g9. If you're set on a DSLR and wanting how to learn to take pictures, then by all means pick one up. Just keep in mind that photography can be an expensive hobby and depending on whether or not you want the biggest and best or whether or not you can realize that price doesn't always equate to quality (or even what you need in some situations) in this field, then you should do fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
Village Idiot, thanks a lot for all the info. I actually do have a friend who bought G9 which he now regrets. not because of the quality of pictures, no, but because he paid $500 and has basically a P&S when he could have paid a bit more and buy a DSLR. Rebels have become ridiculously cheap. XT is $449 and XTi is $589 on Amazon. Yes, the toys for DSLR cost, but I guess you could limit yourself (I know I can), and buy another lens, or two that can serve all the basic needs.
But I'm definitely ready to learn a bit more about G9. It would be nice to hear an opinion of somebody who has it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
well looks like I found the thread a little late...anyway for my info...yes a DSLR will help your pics greatly after you learn some tricks...also with the lens question in my opinion the kit lens works well for most people that just want to take good images...here is an example this is an old nikon kit lens that will cost you about 50-75 bucks online and still takes good images...
DSC_001042.jpg

so the kit lens would work well for you for a while...I still use mine from time to time...personally I would go with Cannon I am a Nikon user and have used them ever since I started...but for the price range you are looking for I would say that Cannon makes a better camera in that range....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
Thank you for your input. After the link that Village Idiot has given I'm torn between two cameras. Basically between Xti kit with 18-55 mm lens ($589) and Nikon D40 with two sets of lens ($636).

BTW, info for Canadian consumers. Don't believe people who tell you that if you buy cameras in the US they won't hold warranty in Canada. I called Canon and they told me that their warranty is for US and Canada doesn't matter where you purchased your camera. And on Amazon most cameras that I looked at are $200 less. There is another lens just in that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac with 2GB of RAM
Yea I was torn when I first bought mine...I chose to go with the D40 because I was just starting and one of my friends had one so it was much easier for me to learn...if I had questions I just asked him...I think that it comes down to personal preference....both would be great purchases

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, A new MB (When they come out!)
In all honesty I would steer clear of the D40. It has a wierd lens mounting system that doesn't allow you to use many of the higher end lenses from Nikon. So if you do in fact decide that you want to get further into photography and want to buy nicer lenses, you will be forced to buy a new body as well.

You may do that anyways, but atleast you won't be forced to. If I were you I would try to pick up a cheap 350D (Rebel XT) from somewhere. B&H is a good place to buy, and DPReview.com is a great place for extensive product reviews.

Again, I wouldn't buy the D40, everything else Nikon makes is fantastic, but they just watered down the D40 way too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
In all honesty I would steer clear of the D40. It has a wierd lens mounting system that doesn't allow you to use many of the higher end lenses from Nikon. So if you do in fact decide that you want to get further into photography and want to buy nicer lenses, you will be forced to buy a new body as well.

You may do that anyways, but atleast you won't be forced to. If I were you I would try to pick up a cheap 350D (Rebel XT) from somewhere. B&H is a good place to buy, and DPReview.com is a great place for extensive product reviews.

Again, I wouldn't buy the D40, everything else Nikon makes is fantastic, but they just watered down the D40 way too much.

Which doesn't matter if you upgrade to the D80.

You really have to look at the lenses for each manufacture and pick from there. I was a FF DSLR so I'm glad I went with Canon originally. I can find a used FF DSLR for $1600-$1700 rather than Nikon with their first full frame DSLR with no real decent used prices right now. $4000 is a bit steep.

But that's just personal preference and I'm really starting planning on quitting my full time job to get something part time and try and do this for a living.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
MacHeadCase,
thanks a lot for the links. I read and read and read, and it seem like if I choose between Nikon D40 and XTi, than the last wins.

Village Idiot
I think you should definitely do it professionally. If you lived close by I'd be your first client. My little girl has a very pretty little face.

Reaction score
first DSLR

From what you are saying as well as my own experiences, it isn't going to matter much what brand of DSLR you choose. For that reason go to the camera shop and pick up a few and see what feels good. all the manufactures make something affordable in the 10 megapixal range. As far as the kit lens, most say that a 50mm lense aproximates the eye's sight picture.

With reference to lenses, since what ever camera you choose will most likely come with a zoom lens that will max out at around 50mm, you should be able to get a zoom lens out to 300mm for not a lot of money.

My camera is a olympus evolt 510, it came with with a 14-42 and I have since purchased a 40-150. The olympus is a four thirds format camera with is another subject so I won't go there now.

The point is that any of the major brands ie cannon Nikon Olympus pentax sony samsung will do you just fine.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
Thanks for your advice.
I'm still undecided. I know nothing about photography (used to just point and shoot). So, I decided to learn a few things on my own camera for now (it has some manual features). I can already see a difference in pics. If i really get into that, learn a few things about the lenses, then I'll go out and buy DSLR. Although, I did some research on Canon G9, and it looks tempting. I'm gonna wait and see if they go down in price before the summer. I actually might pick one up. Thing is, I'm still not too sure if i want to get into DSLR business. Cause camera is one thing, but there is quite a bit of gear I'd have to buy. Not sure I want to start spending that kind of money (I'm saving for a car right now).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.