• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My Xbox 360 Experience

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
So 2 weekends ago I decided to get a Xbox 360. I live out in the boonies so it takes three hours round trip to go to the nearest GameStop. My first was a refurbished 360 and upon getting it home I noticed it kept locking up. So i made another trip to take it back and bought a new one to avoid this issue as well as another game to play on it. Got back home to find that the game was badly scratched and couldnt be read. Another three hour trip and I was ready to play.
The next day the new xbox crashed and wouldnt boot. Another three hour trip and I think I finally got a stable one. Has anyone else had these problems and do you think Gamestop should have at least apologized for these problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I have had problems but not of that sort, and yes GameStop should have apologized. Instead of what you had I had my 360 break 4 times over a 1 1/2 year period... 1 of the times the repair place lost my 360.. had to spend of 24hours of time on the phone with them to send me back a new one. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I completely avoid the 360......the original XBox was good and reliable but the user feedback on the 360 has been dreadful, I'll stick to my PS2 until it's time for the PS3....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
my xbox 360 crashed a few. but the new xbox's have the better motherboards/ processor chips and run a lot faster and smoother. so now is really the time to invest

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
My Xbox 360 held out for about eight months before I got the red ring of death. Microsoft replaced it within two weeks and that one has been running just fine for quite some time now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm still running an OG unit.

They do have their problems though and the Xboxes not working properly is not Gamestop's fault.

I went through three PS2's that would eventually give me the disc read error. They would last about a year and then stop working. I never abuse my consoles either.

Reaction score
Why would Gamestop have to apologize? They didn't make the product, they just sold it to you. It isn't their problem, it's Microsoft, whoever refurbished the first machine, and the game manufacturer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Should have bought a PS3, I know alot of 360 owners will jump on my back but lets face it the 360 will probably go down as the most unreliable console in history.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should have bought a PS3, I know alot of 360 owners will jump on my back but lets face it the 360 will probably go down as the most unreliable console in history.

Haha yeah after the 4th break of my 360 and the 1,000th argument with a Microsoft representative I sold my 360 along with all the accessories and bought myself a PS3. I only miss 2 things, the 360 controller and... no Halo =[[ but everything else is superb!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
I have had my 360 since the December after launch, and I have yet to have a problem. If I did ever have one, I bought mine at best buy with the warranty, so it will be replaced for free without hassle.

The PS3 is good in theory, but I think its still lacking in games. I think graphically the Xbox360 is superior simply because it does lighting and shading better. Things tend to look less realistic and more cartoony on the PS3 side. At least in the comparisons I have seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have had my 360 since the December after launch, and I have yet to have a problem. If I did ever have one, I bought mine at best buy with the warranty, so it will be replaced for free without hassle.
Are you sure you can take it back to Bestbuy, might want to give them a call, pretty much every retailer in Canada including Bestbuy is forcing the consumer to contact Microsoft during the first 3 years even if you bought a extended warranty.

And I know of alot of people who said the exact samething about their launch system, better knock on wood after your comment.

Reaction score
The Xbox definitely has an advantage with better games and realistic-looking graphics.

Unfortunately, it's reputation for being unreliable is well-founded. My bf made sure to never play the Xbox for more than four hours at a time (at Microsoft's 'suggestion') and we never watched hd DVDs on it, either. It was in a well ventilated area, free of dust, etc. He still got the red ring of death about six months after he bought it. Thankfully, he was able to exchange it for one of the newer ones (using the warranty purchased from EB Games).

I've noticed that the ones on display at Target almost always have the red ring of death, too. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The PS3 is good in theory, but I think its still lacking in games. I think graphically the Xbox360 is superior simply because it does lighting and shading better. Things tend to look less realistic and more cartoony on the PS3 side. At least in the comparisons I have seen.

Yeah the PS3 is lacking games =/, but a lot of good games are coming out this year for it. The PS3 hardware is superior in fact, but it is much harder to develop on the lighting and shading is purely from the developers not the hardware. I wish Sony would have made the PS3 easier to develop on =[ maybe we would actually get some games lol. IMO the PS3 is sort of like the Mac of the console world.

Although if the 360 didn't keep breaking on me I would have definitely stuck with it. I like the controller better and it has such a great wealth of games. If they just fixed this breaking issue and added blue-ray it would truly be the perfect console, but M$ has said that they are in the works of making the successor to the 360... and it will have blue ray so it looks like I will be getting another xbox once that comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Xbox definitely has an advantage with better games and realistic-looking graphics.

Unfortunately, it's reputation for being unreliable is well-founded. My bf made sure to never play the Xbox for more than four hours at a time (at Microsoft's 'suggestion') and we never watched hd DVDs on it, either. It was in a well ventilated area, free of dust, etc. He still got the red ring of death about six months after he bought it. Thankfully, he was able to exchange it for one of the newer ones (using the warranty purchased from EB Games).

I've noticed that the ones on display at Target almost always have the red ring of death, too. :D
Funny you should mention EB also, EB us suing Microsoft for all the systems they had to replace under the EB extended warranty. EB apparently lost alot of money because of the failure rate of the 360.

Reaction score
Funny you should mention EB also, EB us suing Microsoft for all the systems they had to replace under the EB extended warranty. EB apparently lost alot of money because of the failure rate of the 360.

Wow really? That's actually quite laughable! I hope they win their lawsuit... :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I swear... once Final Fantasy is out, I'm soooo jumping on a PS3. :D

And GTA4 and MGS4 and Haze and GT5 and Resistance 2... lol I think PS3 users are pretty set for this year =D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It still to be announced but the estimate is early 2009. =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I bought a 360 about this time last year. It worked great untill about december. Then it started giving me disc errors and scratching my discs... some noises i'd make sounded like the disc was jumping and hitting stuff... Eventually i got 3 red lights. Ok, so i contact ms and they send me a box to ship it out. Once i get my replacement i notice its kinda dirty, but whatever, after about a min of trying to set it up with my wifi i get 3 red lights. I called ms and complained. After finally getting a "supervisor" i was told that he'd give me "one of our best consoles" hahaha and pgr 3 or viva piniata. The new console is better, not by much. It still locks up on nhl 08, and makes weird clicking/clunking noises. I wish i bought a ps3 a year ago :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.