Creating a "shared folder" for wireless network?

Reaction score
How do I create a "shared folder" for a mac to be seen by PC's on a wireless network?

I'm not too MAC savvy, but I'm learning.....

Our office has a wireless network with five PC's and two MAC's. The PC's shared folders are mapped, but I can not figure out out to do this for the two MACs we have.

Any help would be great!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You already have a shared folder. It's in your ~username/Shared. (Username is the parent folder of Documents, Music, and such). To enabled sharing with Windows, go to System Preferences > Sharing and then enabled windows sharing (SMB)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
You already have one but if you want to make another folder shared, just click on it and than right click and click get info or press cmd+I. Than in the info widow check off "Shared folder" it should be about 1/4th down the window.

Now to network your Macs with the PCs first go to system preferences and than Sharing, make sure file sharing is checked off. Now back to the home system preferences pane and go to network. Than click advanced, and go to the WINS tab and add your macs to the same workgroup as your PCs. You should be set after that.

OP
A
Reaction score
No luck networking the MAC with the PC's. I do not have an advanced option in the network dialog box. Here is a screen shot of what I have. What now?

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Make them all part of the same work group so you may not have renamed the worgroup on macs. Go into sharing and and you will see all the options. To be honest though when you put them all in the same workgroup you will simply see your PCs in the sidebar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Make them all part of the same work group so you may not have renamed the worgroup on macs. Go into sharing and and you will see all the options.
Bingo, been looking for where to set that! Thanks for the tip!

OP
A
Reaction score
I can not find a sharing option in the main preferences menue or in the folder info box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.