Just odered a MacBook, a couple of quesitons...

Reaction score
Hi,

Ive just ordered a macbook :D Making the switch from windows. I have one main question, that I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ's etc....

1. Im pretty careful (okay i'm incredibly uptight) with file management - windows is hopeless with dealing with big folders etc, my current my documents lags like no ones business. My question is, when migrating my files over, should I just drag and drop them into their respective folders on the mac (ie photos, music etc) will the mac get clogged up and slow down with lots of data? Where does the data go, I understand its a bit of a mystery?

Related to that, do I need to partition the drive to keep the data separate for reformating etc? No one ever talks about it?

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I have had my mac for a couple of months now, and I cant say that I have seen any difference since the day that I pulled it out of the box.
I had bought it with a 250GB HD and now I only have like 98 GB Free and
I have not seen any difference.
"Once you go mac you never go back"

Welcome to the MacWorld

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I used to be really retentive about file organization as well, but I've gotten better since I switched to Mac. I initially dragged my music and photos to their respective folders and manually managed everything. Over time I began letting iTunes and iPhoto handle my photos rather than doing it manually, and I've been much happier since I don't have a real need to browse my media files manually.

My documents, on the other hand, I manage manually like before because it's simply easier than trying to find some other method to do so.

Reaction score
Yeah, and what about Automator...I heard that does some cool stuff. I dont really any about macs yet..but Im learning. I do think someone with knowledge should speak about automator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.