Need a Point and Shoot for close ups of my face

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a beauty blog so I need to take close ups of my face to post tutorials and such on my site. We have a Canon Rebel XTI, but my arms aren't long enough to get my whole face in the shot! I am looking for a good camera to take quick pics of my whole face, or just eyes or lips etc. We are also hoping to have a baby soon, so I will also be using it for quick snaps when we don't want to use the XTI. I don't want to spend a ton, because we already have a good camera, but I don't want a crappy one either. I was thinking $200-300. Any suggestions?

Critty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
erh, get a friend to take the pics

you might want to spend the money on good lights, that really makes a difference - especially if you are doing beauty shots, especially lights that mimic sunlight.

Your best bet is to go outside and shoot in sunlight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
What lens do you have on your XTi? Maybe you could simply replace the lens with something that a has a shorter focal length. Although, you need to realize using a wide angle lens, which is what you need on any camera to do your self-portraits, will be quite unflattering. It's a very unnatural look and the lens will distort (make larger) the closest part of your face.
Why don't you try buying a tripod and setting the camera facing a white wall. Put the camera on a self timer and frame it so your face is in view when the shutter finally goes releases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Surely the XTI has a delay feature. You set it for 10 seconds and get in front of the camera. Some cameras even have remotes available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
Hi Everyone,

I have a beauty blog so I need to take close ups of my face to post tutorials and such on my site. We have a Canon Rebel XTI, but my arms aren't long enough to get my whole face in the shot! I am looking for a good camera to take quick pics of my whole face, or just eyes or lips etc. We are also hoping to have a baby soon, so I will also be using it for quick snaps when we don't want to use the XTI. I don't want to spend a ton, because we already have a good camera, but I don't want a crappy one either. I was thinking $200-300. Any suggestions?

Critty

Fugi F50 would be perfect for what you need. Cost around $250. Very nice p&s with some nice low light capabilities. I shoot with my 30d, but if I was in the market for a p&s this is what I would buy.

M

MacHeadCase

Buy yourself a good tripod and use the Canon XTi. As xstep says, there is a delay on it. You could even use a remote on it so you wouldn't even have to run back and forth.

For the correct remote, look a the Canon website for the accessories designed for your camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buy yourself a good tripod and use the Canon XTi. As xstep says, there is a delay on it. You could even use a remote on it so you wouldn't even have to run back and forth.

For the correct remote, look a the Canon website for the accessories designed for your camera.

I said it first ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Man, you guys are giving me the hard way of doing stuff ;-) I have a good tripod and have used the timer delay on the xti, but I was looking for an easier solution ... I suppose buying a remote will make it easier and not too $$$. I just need to set up an area for it.

I do have some lighting from a kit I bought, and I try to shoot by my two front windows. These aren't beauty shots like modeling - I am far from a model! Just a makeup artist trying to show people how to achieve a certain technique.

Thanks so much, I value everyone's opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still, you need to have good photos to show off your techniques.
A $50 remote is a lot better investment than a $250 camera.
We sell wireless triggers at work that cost no more than $100.
Once you figure out where the camera is framed against the wall, taking pictures should be a snap. :)

Reaction score
A remote trigger will work well. Or, the timer on the camera with the technique below.

One of the better tricks I've seen is using a stool with a helium balloon at head height. You prefocus the camera on the balloon ( You might need to draw a target for the camera to focus on. Once focused turn off AF) and then sit placing your head in the frame you've focused for, aprox where the balloon was.

Allow for some depth of field and your facial shot should be in focus.

Might take some fidgeting around to get it right, but I have seen some people get pretty decent results using the balloon focus trick.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks voicepipes,

That is a great idea ... I am definitely going to try it!

M

MacHeadCase

The remote I talked about is the Canon Remote Switch RS-60E3. I have the Canon XT and the remote for it is the RS-60E so I'm pretty certain it's pretty much the same model... It looks very similar in any case.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
can't you just use the a/v cable that comes with nearly every camera and run it to a small tv facing you in conjunction with a remote to take the pic without moving back and forth at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wouldn't go into auxilary mode if it was connected to a TV?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.