iPhone abroad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2, Hac Pro
I will be doing a semester abroad this Fall for school in London. I'd like to get an iPhone to use while there. I've been looking at unlocking solutions and that looks straight forward, no questions there.

My first question deals with purchasing. Can I go to an Apple store, or Apple store on the internet and purchase the phone without a contract? I would also assume that applies to the refurbished unit? I'll most likely hold off until the 3G one is released so that the older ones drop in price.

I'll be using a pre-paid service while there as well. Is it possible to turn off the cell network to applications? I'd just like things like mail and such to pull from wi-fi when connected. Can that be restricted?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I will be doing a semester abroad this Fall for school in London. I'd like to get an iPhone to use while there. I've been looking at unlocking solutions and that looks straight forward, no questions there.

My first question deals with purchasing. Can I go to an Apple store, or Apple store on the internet and purchase the phone without a contract? I would also assume that applies to the refurbished unit? I'll most likely hold off until the 3G one is released so that the older ones drop in price.

I'll be using a pre-paid service while there as well. Is it possible to turn off the cell network to applications? I'd just like things like mail and such to pull from wi-fi when connected. Can that be restricted?

Thanks for the help!
Hi!

Please note that unlocking solution etc. shouldn't be discussed here.
As for your other questions:

- Yes you can walk into an Apple Store and purchase an iPhone. You'll then please activate it with an authorized carrier when you get home.
- You can turn off GPRS / EDGE access: Just don't enter your GRPS / EDGE connection information and it won't connect.
- Note of caution: Don't swap your official AT&T SIM card too often with the offical O2 iPhone SIM card if you can avoid it. The plastic drawer is a bit flimsy and a colleague of mine actually damaged his phone whilst removing his AT&T card.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So turning off the EDGE access will that also disable calls and texts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
So turning off the EDGE access will that also disable calls and texts?
Nope.
EDGE / GPRS is only used for data access. Calls and SMS functionality is not affected.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent, thanks a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.