• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Still from DVD?

Reaction score
I have a friend who is in love with a certain kind of parrot, and we have a DVD of them in australia. She wants to create a still, and then get a tattoo of it. I can't do screenshots with DVD's. Is it possible to open a commercial DVD in Final Cut or QuickTime? Is there another way to get a still from DVD player? Thanks so much for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Just get it on the screen and COMMAND+SHIFT+3

Or COMMAND+SHIFT+4 and drag a box around exactly what you need.

-Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have never tried it, but my understanding is that OS X will not allow you to do a screen capture of anything on DVD Player.

The resounding recommendation around here is always SnapzProX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have never tried it, but my understanding is that OS X will not allow you to do a screen capture of anything on DVD Player.

The resounding recommendation around here is always SnapzProX.

so just in case DVD player will not work try VLC player

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I'm pretty sure you can capture a screenshot of a DVD by doing a screencap. Command+shift+3/4 it is!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
Nah the apple dvd player blocks screen capturing because of copyright and such i believe, but vlc should definatly work or any screen capture program such as jing or snapzprox or try running the dvd in vlc and it should work with the screen capture short cuts.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
There is a simple apple script that will let you do this in DVDplayer, I've posted it many times before.

If you mean taking screen shots of playing video in quicktime, Command + Shift 3 or Command + Shift + 4, OR Command + Shift + 4 + Spacebar, should allow you take a picture of a quicktime window. You can't do it in DVD Player without an apple script. It's really easy though.

Create a script with the contents of this, "screencapture -iW ~/Desktop/dvd-window.png" and save it into Library/Application Support/DVDPlayer/Scripts

You should then be able to take screen shots of the dvd player.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is a simple apple script that will let you do this in DVDplayer, I've posted it many times before.

Any specific filename the script has to be saved with?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.