How do I transition from Microsoft to a Mac

Reaction score
I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a Mac after 25 years of computing. I have been around awhile; I still have my first Morrow MD3 CP/M machine. In all those years I have never touched a Mac and am still pretty clueless about the OS and hardware. I am looking at a MacBook Pro (Z0EC9LL/A @ MacMall)) and have some software questions and the ability to transition from MS.

Will the iwork '08 import documents, presentations and spreadsheets that I created using MS? Are there issues I should be aware of or things that won't work?

Is there a forum or website that deals with a newb moving from Microshaft to a Mac system?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Larry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yes iWork will import Windows documents, and can also export windows docs (remember that office 2008 is also available for Mac).

Here are 2 sites made by apple to help people switch: Switch 101, and Mac 101

I hope, you enjoy your switch and I'm sure you will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
you can use office for mac...or open office/neo office (which are free open source alternatives)....they can read & save in MS formats.

yes there is a sub forum for newbies moving to mac it's called switcher hangout
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes iWork will import Windows documents, and can also export windows docs (remember that office 2008 is also available for Mac).

Here are 2 sites made by apple to help people switch: Switch 101, and Mac 101

I hope, you enjoy your switch and I'm sure you will.

I will begin my studies. Sorry for the misplaced thread.

Larry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
I recommend "Switching to the Mac" by David Pogue. It is part of the 'Missing Manual' series. It tells you how to do things on your Mac that you did on your PC.

Reaction score
Larry,

I made the switch after some 20 years of PC usage myself. Since you're pretty well versed in the use of PC's, making the switch to Mac is pretty easy. Some things are different, like installing and uninstalling programs, but mostly things are pretty similar.

If you're used to trouble shooting a PC, things are much different with the Mac. Admin of the Mac can require some study, but day to day use once set-up is a snap... very much like what you're used to.

Fortunately the internet is full of resources like this website to help you make the transition. But for me it was a no-brainer. I'm extremely happy to be a "switcher".

Good luck and I hope you make the right choice (go with the Mac)! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Hey Larry,

I was in the same boat back in December, switching to an iMac after years and years on a PC. I bought the new machine from our local Apple dealer and attended a few of the free classes offered on Saturdays. My wife also bought 'Mac OSX Leopard Edition The Missing Manual' as a Christmas gift. Take my word, it will be a very easy switch for you. I love my Mac! Now my PC at work seems strange!

20" iMac
3 GB Ram
500 GB HD
500 GB External HD

Couldn't be happier! Buy the book and stay current on this forum, that's all you need!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
How do I transition from Microsoft to a Mac
Simple

Step #1: Get a Mac. Make sure it is a slightly older Mac, yet still capable of at least running OS X 10.4.x
This will save you money and ease you into things better. It will also be less of a blow to your wallet and bank account, should you find that you don't care for Macs.

Step #2: Forget anything and everything you know, love and have come to understand about Microsoft Windows. At least while you are using the Mac. Don't compare it to how things worked in Windows, don't try to make it look or work like Windows... don't even mention Windows at all whilst working on the Mac.

Step #3:
You're done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Two months or so ago, I picked up my first Mac, an innocent little iMac....I was impressed so much so when a PAIR of eMacs that ran circles around the iMac came up for sale, I grabbed them up.

Having 5 Windows based PCs anddiving headfirst in the Mac world hasn't been without it's snags however the three Macs I have now are powerful learning tools especially the twin eMacs.....one to work on, one to play on. I love them both.

Just make sure when you do get a used one, that it's got at least a G4 1Ghz and a gig of RAM, OS X 10.4 (UPDATE TO 10.4.11) will love it and run very very well.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, a few more questions

Thanks to all for your answers and advice. Switch 101 has been very helpful. Thank you The Vindicat3d.

I am looking at the 15'' MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz, 2GB 200GB 8600MGT. ($1844)

The price for upgrading to a 2.6GHz is over $700. This seems excessive. Is there really a significant performance improvement with just 200MHz? My primary use will be a broad range of business applications but I also use Photoshop 7.0 on my PC and will buy a version for the Mac.

Which is more economical: buy a Mac and later upgrade HD, RAM or just buy it fully loaded? How upgradeable are Mac's?

It looks like there is a stranglehold on Mac pricing; something I am not used to seeing in the world of PC's. Is there price fixing by Apple or are these machines really holding there own price up?

Larry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
You will be pleasantly surprised to find that upgrading a Mac isn't expensive. NewEgg (www.newegg.com) sells 4 gb of MacBook RAM for $100. It has a lifetime warranty.

I once had a PC RAM from NewEgg go bad after a couple years. I actually found the old receipt and emailed them about it. They had me mail it back to them and they shipped out a replacement right away--no questions asked.

Buy as little RAM as possible from Apple and then replace it with your own. Then sell the old Apple RAM on ebay and get $50 of your $100 back!

From what I understand, it's the same with hard drives, although swapping hard drives is slightly more involved than inserting new RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Thanks to all for your answers and advice. Switch 101 has been very helpful. Thank you The Vindicat3d.

I am looking at the 15'' MacBook Pro with 2.4GHz, 2GB 200GB 8600MGT. ($1844)

The price for upgrading to a 2.6GHz is over $700. This seems excessive. Is there really a significant performance improvement with just 200MHz? My primary use will be a broad range of business applications but I also use Photoshop 7.0 on my PC and will buy a version for the Mac.

Which is more economical: buy a Mac and later upgrade HD, RAM or just buy it fully loaded? How upgradeable are Mac's?

It looks like there is a stranglehold on Mac pricing; something I am not used to seeing in the world of PC's. Is there price fixing by Apple or are these machines really holding there own price up?

Larry

The 2.4ghz is fine, save the $700. Get the lowest RAM configuration possible and buy the RAM from Crucial or another 3rd party, save another $200. With the surplus cash, get a Wireless HDD/Airport Extreme for use with Time Machine.

I agree with D3v1L80Y, don't try and use a Mac like Windows (things like organizing Photos and Music via the Finder (explorer) as this will just frustrate you). Just trust the Mac apps and be happy.

Enjoy the switch.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should also know up front, that if you're into speed and have been a hardware enthusiast/gamer building your own high end rigs on the Windows side there is one upgrade you should consider. A 7200rpm drive.

This is the one thing I would have done on my MBP from the get go knowing what I do now. The drive can be upgraded after the fact on the MBP, but unlike the RAM, replacing the drive is not considered a DIY part and will void the warranty.

You're not the first nor will you be the only long timer with their first Mac around here. As others have noted, just remember, it's not Windows. You'll have to learn new ways to do things. If you're ready for a change and willing to learn - you just may find yourself having a great time with a computer again.

And make sure you check out the Stickies in the Switcher Hangout - eric's thread is a good place to start once you get your Mac. You'll find a lot of good stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.