Mac mini

Reaction score
Hello,

I am not to sure if I have posted this in the correct section so if I haven’t, sorry!

I am looking to make my first step into the Mac world with a Mac mini but I have a few questions I hope you all could answer for me please.

I am looking a Mac for mainly web development work and for producing some art via Photoshop (nothing to intensive with this application). I won’t be playing any games so I don’t need a Mac that could handle 3D applications well.

I am currently thinking of purchasing this mini set-up:

1.83ghz
2gb RAM
120gb HD

My main question is: is there much performance difference between the 1.83ghz and the 2.00ghz. I know you get more cache with the 2.00ghz (4MB) than the 1.83ghz (2MB) and a super drive with the 2.00gb but I am not that bothered by the super drive as my web applications I will be creating won’t need that much space to be copied/backed-up.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Stuart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
More on board cache will improve data crunching massively, it allows more data to be on the CPU rather than in the RAM, and as such, it'll process data like filters and such in Photoshop like it's on steroids with the 4Mb cache processor, just my 2 cents worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I entered the Mac world with a PPC G4 Mac Mini with 512MB of RAM (later upgraded to a gig) with Panther, later upgraded to Tiger. It was a pleasure to use and I would still be using it had I not decided that I really need something portable to take with me everywhere I go.

I can only imagine that a current Intel Mac Mini with the appropriate amount of RAM would be completely adequate for your needs. Remember that a Mac Mini is really a Macbook in non-portable form. My Macbook serves me exceptionally well, and I ask quite a lot from it.

You should be good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - Penryn 2.4ghz
If you're not loading down your machine with heavy apps I think the 1.83 should be fine. I had that same setup and I wasn't dissapointed. As long as your running at least 2g of ram you should be fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My first brand new Mac was a G4 Mini when they first came out. Served me well and now is serving a new Mac user well! I have an 1.66Ghz Intel Mini and it's great. Amazing for it's small size also. Get as much ram as you can when you purchase it as the Mini's are a pain to open and you can damage the casing if you are not careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
My main question is: is there much performance difference between the 1.83ghz and the 2.00ghz. I know you get more cache with the 2.00ghz (4MB) than the 1.83ghz (2MB) and a super drive with the 2.00gb but I am not that bothered by the super drive as my web applications I will be creating won’t need that much space to be copied/backed-up.

They'll be no difference in everyday use. In PS, you might knock a few seconds off a filter, but that's about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I'd recommend 1.83 is Superdrive is not a concern.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

I have ordered the 1.83 with 2gb of RAM and 120gb hd

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.