• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

car troubles - Leecho or any other mechanics?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so my wife's car (2001? honda odessey base model) has a weird electrical issue. the fan (for the hvac) only works in speeds 3 and 4, nothing happens, not even noise in speeds 1 or 2.

this seems to have happened suddenly, not slowing down over time.

i'm guessing not a fuse or the fan just wouldn't work.

and if there were a problem with the fan itself i would assume the 3 and 4 speeds would seem slower or strained or not work at all.

is this most likley a switch issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It could be a fuse. Try that as it's an easy thing to check. We just fixed my friend's 300z last night. The headlights wouldn't work when he had something else on. It was just the fuse.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, seems weird though if it was the fuse that the problem wouldn't be the other way around... or just completely not work.

now i've got to find the fusebox on the thing... :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I had a similar problem with my truck, only, if you ran it lower than 3 or 4, it would start blowing out black smoke.

Ended up being a bad blower motor.

Probably not your issue, but just putting that out there. (Real cheap repair though, like, $30-40, and you can do it in an afternoon.)

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, i'd rather it be a fan than the switch for sure. and it's a van so there's going to be plenty of room down there... ;)

i just can't imagine that that's it. of course if there's some sort of friction problem, maybe 1 and 2 just don't have the juice to spin the impeller and 3 and 4 have enough. so, who knows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
We have the same year model Odyssey, but have not run into this problem, but it does sound like a switch issue.

I would suggest going to OdyClub forums to see what others' experience/solutions have been.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
That is/was a common problem with Malibu's.
It was a swtich issue on those cars. The switch would get too hot, fry itself and stop working correctly. It would only work on 4 and 5.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
[homer voice]mmm, impedance[/homer voice]

that kind of makes sense, the lower settings are throttling the current more, maybe the wiring couldn't hack it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
It's a Honda, so you won't need to make any more repairs! :) LOL

jah

Reaction score
you need to get the service manual as a pdf, with a wiring diagram.

worth the time to go through the system with the wiring diagram to determine its not a blown fuse and or bad switch. look for any other dependencies too. honda should have a trouble shooting method to follow.

my experience has been a bad blower motor and they were difficult to get access to, have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Yeah a wiring diagram would help for sure! If i remember right, Honda probably has the 1/2 and 3/4 from one switch and 1/2 and 3/4 are treated as low-hi. They might be on 2 relays. A relay might have blown. Is there a buzzing noise? Try using the fan in key on engine off and you can probably hear any noises.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This was a problem several people had with their Pilots, which I assume have HVAC systems that are very similar (if not identical) to the Ody's, since they are platform-mates. As I recall, there was some sort of relay that failed. If you don't find anything out on odyclub.com, I would suggest digging around on honda-pilot.org.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
This was a common problem in Cavaliers, caused by a bad relay for the blower motor. I know in the cavalier, the relay was attached to the blower motor, so it possible could be the same with your car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Hmmm... guess its too late to say something here heheh. My fault. Been pretty busy past couple of weeks.
Have you gotten it checked out yet Eric?

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sort of, my wife wanted to bring the car to "precision tune" instead of the really very good mechanic we have historically brought our cars to since she found a coupon for a cheapie oil change. they found the issue with the fan - they called it something else, but i believe they were referring to the relay.
they also told my wife they needed to "clean" the brakes. [uh, yeah...]

oh, and i did try to check http://www.odyclub.com/ but i can't reach the site. i'm just trying to get the name of the exact part to see how much it will cost and how easy or hard it would be to put in myself.
maybe i should just pick up the chilton's guide. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TiBook - 800MHz/1gb/30gb/combo/500gb external
wow, the funny stuff i find when searching for things.

wanna know what it was? blower motor resistor. 10 dollar part

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, it was something like that, though it was fixed almost a year ago... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Should've bought an American car. :p

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
agreed.

pretty sure that odyssey was built in ohio. the last civic i owned definitely was (and at the time had the most american content of any car... about 1998).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.