We are new to Mac??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
We'll not so much me as my Mother.

I just helped her get her first new Mac, She left windows behind. :D

I did upgrade to Leopard so I am new to that, what free resources should I have her look at that will really help her with OSX leopard? I stuck around for 2 days and gave her a crash course but I am no expert either. She does love her new 20" iMac, she instantly shows it off to anyone that visits her. she seems to have most of the basics down; internet, pages, time machine, email and iPhoto, but I know we just scratched the surface. Where can I send her that will help her.

She wants to learn all the Keyboard shortcuts but I have never really used those so I was not much help but other than that I am looking for a really easy guide that will help her learn the mac. This will also help me learn Leopard as well.

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Firstly welcome !

Everybody on here recommends Leopard: the Missing Manual

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Leopard-Missing-Manual/dp/059652952X?tag=macforums0e4-20

As for anything else, come back here with specific questions and everybody here will help

Thanks guys.

I come here a bunch myself. You guys have helped me bunches, thanks.

I did set my Mother up with an account for this very site but she has never used a message board before so I dont know if she will without me there poking her in the side. She is in her sixties and still pretty new to computers so trying to get her to do anything new is like pulling teeth. The only reason I got her to switch to a mac is because I told her that if she got a new pc with vista on it I would not help her when it took a poop. She was reluctant to switch but now that she has she could not be happier.

Like I said, I set her up with an account here but it would probably be easier if I could have her buy a book or direct her to a website that explained leopard to her. She is sort of old school, I know she will eventually use this message board but in the mean time a book or site would probably be best.

Thanks for all your help guys. You will be seeing allot from us. Her username is: valmaz13, Be nice to my Mum or I will hunt you down and....:D

M

MacHeadCase

Tell her I'm in my 50s and other members are around her age too. And we don't bite. ;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell her I'm in my 50s and other members are around her age too. And we don't bite. ;D

This would actually probably help. Her actually seeing that she has peers here is a big plus.

I will prod her to poke around the site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ I am going to have her order the book but in the mean time is there any sites you recommend I send her to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
Hey, I'm 70 and not afraid to come to the forum. Your Mother would be most welcome. May I suggest another book by David Pogue called "Switching to the Mac." I found it to be a great help when I made the change three years ago. It explains how to do the things you did on a PC with your new Mac. In the meantime, have her explore this forum as well as the Apple website support section which has many valuable tutorials.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.