• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning on iDVD

Reaction score
HI all!

I'm having problems burning with iDVD...

Basically, I am trying to burn some Quicktime AVI files - approx 600mb in size. When I preview everything is fine, then when I click burn it says something like "File too big in size... use System Preferences" or something like that - you'll know the message!

So, It goes into 'encoding' for about 2 hours, then eventually says 'encoding complete'.

So I close that window and then try to burn on iDVD, but the initial "...system preferences" message appears?!?!??

What I need to know is; do I need to locate the 'encoded' file, and if so where would it be? I have watched the tutorial online and it says as soon as encoding is complete, close the window and click burn on iDVD! But, this is not working for me!

I'm fairly knew to Macs you see! Could I also ask, is there 'free' software in which I can convert my QUicktime AVI files to MPEG2 (if that's the correct format iDVD burns at??) and then drag the converted files straight into iDVD?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, look forward to hearing from you!

-ZUKE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, if you are going to reference error messages, then be as exact as possible. I know some of them might flash by quickly. Also, always mention what version of an application you are using.

I didin't know iDVD could handle AVI files. Can you preview the DVD before the burn?

You shouldn't need to click Burn twice. The first time should do as that will encode the content if it hasn't been already, and then burn to a disc. The 2 hours you speak of is the encoding to MPEG2 format.

I don't think you can drag MPEG2 into iDVD. I would try converting the files to Apple Intermediate Codec as that should minimize quality loss. There has been plenty of discussion here regarding converting formats.

I usually leave the burn process until the end. Choose either "Save as Disk Image..." or if you have Toast, "Save as Video_TS Folder...". I choose these because I don't trust the physical burn process. A few weeks ago I had to choose the second one because the first wouldn't work. Go figure. I then use Disk Utitlity to burn the Disk Image or Toast for that second option to create a DVD.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply!

I use MAC Leopard OSX, on a white 2.2GHz Macbook, so I assume this is the most up-to-date version of iDVD?

I definitely have to press burn twice...

I open iDVD > select > magic DVD and this opens with my movie library on the right hand side of the window I can preview any movie in the little window below my movies.

I then name my project > an drag the movie file in to 'drag movies here' and select my background for the DVD. If i then preview, 'creating movie project' appears. Then it opens the 'virtual' DVD menu etc. If i then click burn, a text message appears saying 'Your project exceeds the maximum content duration. To burn your DVD, change the encoder setting in the Project Info window to Best Quality.'

So I go into 'project information' and encode the file. This takes a while... when complete, I close the window, and then click burn on iDVD. Now all I get is the 'error' bleep sound Macs make?!

I have watched iDVD tutorials and I'm making my DVD 'EXACTLY' how it shows you to, but I still can't physically burn a DVD!

Please help!

-ZUKE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The first message suggests to me that your movie is to long in time for the DVD you have set up. Here is the message text I got; "Your project exceeds the maximum content duration. To burn this project, remove some content.". How long is the total length off all of the content you are adding to the project?

Note that when I got that message, there was a little diamond to the lower left of the slide down warning window that you can click on to see the details one of which is the length of the project. You can also see how long your project is in the Project Info panel.

Setting the project up for a Dual Layer disc maybe the solution. I can't confirm that because I think that setting is limited if you don't have a Dual Layer burning as I do not have one. So the Selection in the Project Info panel is grayed out to 'Single-Layer' on my early MBP.

Open the Getting Started PDF from the Help menu and search for the word Hour. Click on the found result and read those areas of the page. It would seem that projects are limited to 2 hours on single layer discs. I'm not sure of the limit for dual layer.

Changing the encoding to Professional Quality seems to make the video smaller. So that might help also.

Reaction score
I can't burn extra files on the DVD-ROM contents

Files that I add on the DVD-ROM edit feature don't show up (or I don't know where to find them) after I burn the DVD. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
People, this thread is over 2 years old - if you have problems with software, you should really start your own thread rather then revive a thread so old...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.