• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Ripping Quality

Reaction score
I have been trying to rip DVDs to my hard drive instead of always downloading them. However, they always seem to end up poor quality. I want to rip them to be .avi and around 700MB in size. I am using a program called DVD Ripper. Every time I jack up the quality, it resets it as soon as I try ripping. I also have Mac the Ripper and Handbreak, but I cant seem to get them to do this for me. I want to rip a DVD so that it can play as an .avi in any media player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm going to assume you are doing this for non-commercial based DVDs. If so, take a look at Handbrake. If you insist on sticking with avi, this program lets you rip with the Xvid codec.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.