GarageBand Headphone/Monitor question...

Reaction score
Im using a Presonus FP10 plugged via firewire into a new MBP. When I use the headphone jack from the Presonus I can hear sound (by turning on monitoring within GarageBand).

Is there anyway to use to laptop speakers instead of headphones? Or the laptop headphone jack instead of the one on the Presonus? If I wanted to use external speakers to monitor would I just plug them into the headphone jack on the Presonus? On the MBP?

Ive tried plugging headphones into the laptop jack and got nothing. Also tried to listen back through the laptop speakers and got nothing. Only time I get sound is with headphones attached to the Presonus. Is there somewhere I need to go activate these other options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
If you want to use headphones with the MBP output go to "Garageband" then to "Preferences" in the audio/midi tab you should input and output drop-down menus. in the output select "built-in output"...

If you want to use the presonus do the same thing and select that for the output.... on the back of the presonus, next to the midi stuff, there are "main outputs" that go to Right and Left... you'll have to run these to an amp and then speakers, or straight to speakers that have their own power amp built in... You will get the best quality sound monitoring from your presonus...
Why would you rather plug your headphones into the MBP???

OP
M
Reaction score
Well I dont think I am getting a solid connection in the Presonus headphone jack. My headphones have a mini-jack so I am having to use a 1/4" adapter and will frequently get buzzing in my headphones while monitoring.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.